Rancho RS9000X, set of 4 ($210) Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003 | 11:29 PM
I just recieved mine from sams. Great price. I did notice that in the box there was no paper work or receipt just shocks and hardware. OK, fine. but I have some questions . How do the settings run. Is setting 1 firmest or softest ? Initially how do I know if I am in 1 or 9 there does not seem to be a indication arrow pointing to the number you on? Any suggestion on settings for a 2001 4x4 supercrew.
Thanks
Doug
P.S. I have got to get my signature one line:confused

Old 04-29-2003 | 11:41 PM
|
djlampert, glad to hear you cashed in on a good deal too. 1 is softest, 9 is for racing As for how to know what the setting is, hold the shock in mounting position (Boot Up, **** at the bottom), now on the ****, change it so 1 is facing upward. That is setting 1, turn clockwise, each click is a new setting 2,3,4,... you get the picture... As for a good starter setting, try 3 all the way around. You'll have to adjust to your liking from there, but I think its a good place to start. Let us know what settings you come up with.

Old 04-29-2003 | 11:50 PM
|
djlampert, clarification on the 1 or 9 setting. Hold the shock as described above, turn the **** counterclockwise till it does not turn anymore. That is position 1.

Old 04-30-2003 | 03:57 PM
Thanks for the help. I was hoping to get them on this weekend doesn't look good
Doug

Old 04-30-2003 | 06:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Looking forward to reading your post after you put them on and drive them around at a few test settings.

Old 04-30-2003 | 09:52 PM
|
greencrew, yeah, I ended up with 3 all around right now, but I have my truck in the paint shop all week. Getting a new Cervinis hood put on. I will play with the settings a little more when I get my truck back.

Old 04-30-2003 | 10:16 PM
How does the ride of these shocks compare to the stock FX4 ones?

I like how mine rides, a thump over bumps instead of hard bangs.

Old 05-01-2003 | 12:00 AM

03 FX4, good question.

In my opinion, and from what others who rode in my truck have said... At position 9 it is stiffer than an FX4 even though my tires are not as stiff as the stock Goodyears RT/Ss, and the truck corners amazingly well.

At position 1 the ride is softer than the 4x2 with the Generals I drove before this one, but still corners better.

I kept pace with a Chevy regular cab with red shocks while getting onto the freeway ramp this morning. My tires were the only ones to sqweek. I'm at postion 3 front, 1 rear.

I don't know what positon would match the FX4, and I'll never find out becasue I replaced my RT/Ss.

Old 05-01-2003 | 12:12 AM

Stealth, please provide details on your truck. 4x2/4x4 etc.

Old 05-01-2003 | 07:33 AM
|
greencrew, I have the details under my profile, but here they are:

2001 F150 5.4L Ext. Cab, Flareside, 4X4 Offroad
Ext Color: Island Blue
Int Color: Grey

Mods:

Lightning 3rd Brake Light
Rancho RS9000X Shocks
Cervini's Ram Air Hood
K&N Filter
Silverstar Heads and Fogs
*Soon* Magnaflow Dual Rear Exit Exhaust.
*Soon* Headers (Brand Undecided)
*Soon* K&N Intake
*Soon* Superchip

I will buildup my gallery once I get my truck back.

Old 05-14-2003 | 12:25 PM
Lightbulb

Well now....got a question of sorts. Talked to a guy the other night who is a regional sales manager for Car Quest Auto Parts. He tells me that there are only 2 shock absorber "manufacturers", and that all the shocks are made by these guys and all other "brands" just put their name on them. He tells me that Gabriel and Monroe are the manufacturers. He said that the Rancho RSX and the Gabriel Gas Ryder LT are basically the same shock. If this is the case, the Gabriels have the price of Ranchos beat by about 40%. I'm currently looking around for some new shocks for my truck, as the tires have about 10,000 miles on them and are looking pretty ragged, and the ride is deteriorating pretty fast.
Not trying to start a war here, just thought this was an interesting point.

Old 05-14-2003 | 06:28 PM
|
Hmm, I think he was smoking something.... You may want to ask him why the Rancho's have a lifetime warranty and the others don't, although you will probably never use the warranty anyway, but nice to know it's there. Also, the ride quality is definately better. A buddy of mine put Monroe sensicrap shocks on his F-150 and was very disappoint. He took me for a ride and knew why. Anyway, everyone has there own opinion about different manufactures and different opinions about ride quality, but there is no way Rancho's are made by another company. Rancho's make lower end shocks for other companies and OEM use. If I were you, and were unsure, buy a set of Rancho's or Gabriels or whatever and use them for a month, then take them back and get another brand to compare. Most stores offer a satisfaction guarantee and they don't take long to replace (once you get those stock ones off . I think you will notice a difference in ride quality and shock quality. I feel like calling Rancho and confronting them about them not making there own shocks.... HeHe, ok I will stop now. No War starting here...

Old 05-14-2003 | 08:37 PM
Alrighty then....I appreciate the information.... that's why guys like me look all over, read, listen and talk to people about options. Now, if we were talking horses, ropes and saddles.........

Old 05-15-2003 | 12:00 AM

That's possible, GM does the same thing with cars and trucks, but even though a Sunfire is really a Cavalier it not a Suburban.

Old 05-15-2003 | 01:03 PM
I am sure some of the big manufacturers like Monroe and Gabriel will make shocks for the smaller names and store brands. However, that does not mean the off-brand shocks are the same as the big maker sells under their own name. Even a shock that is nearly identical in construction could have major differences in valving and performance.

It would not surprise me if Edelbrock pays another company to build the IAS to Edelbrock's specs, but I would be very surprised if the same exact shock is sold under another name.

BTW, I'll bet there are quite a few other companies besides Gabriel and Monroe that make shocks. My guess is KYB, Koni, Bilstein and Tokico (among others) all make their own.

Quick Reply: Rancho RS9000X, set of 4 ($210) Free Shipping