Rancho RS9000X, set of 4 ($210) Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003 | 07:16 PM
Feeling like I been rode hard and put up wet........I appreciate all the comments and information. I suppose if I knew all the answers, I wouldn't be on this board.
Thought I knew all the answers once.....then they went and changed the questions on me.

Old 06-05-2003 | 04:29 PM
H13
GREAT!!

Right when you guys convinced me to get the RS9000's, Sam jacks the price up on me to 209.85.

Old 06-05-2003 | 05:22 PM
H13
Originally posted by Viejo4X4
Well now....got a question of sorts. Talked to a guy the other night who is a regional sales manager for Car Quest Auto Parts. He tells me that there are only 2 shock absorber "manufacturers", and that all the shocks are made by these guys and all other "brands" just put their name on them. He tells me that Gabriel and Monroe are the manufacturers. He said that the Rancho RSX and the Gabriel Gas Ryder LT are basically the same shock. If this is the case, the Gabriels have the price of Ranchos beat by about 40%. I'm currently looking around for some new shocks for my truck, as the tires have about 10,000 miles on them and are looking pretty ragged, and the ride is deteriorating pretty fast.
Not trying to start a war here, just thought this was an interesting point.
The basis for this rumour is understandable. A few years ago Rancho Suspension was purchased by Tenneco Automotive, one of the world's largest automotive parts companies. Tenneco also owns Monroe and, as a matter of course, Rancho now uses part of the Monroe facilities in the USA to manufacture the RS5000 and ride-adjustable 9000X shock absorbers.

Unlike other shock absorbers produced in the Monroe plant, the Rancho RS5000 and 9000X shocks are assembled using components designed and specified by Rancho engineers.

Old 06-05-2003 | 06:29 PM
Ok, I just read this whole thread and was not thinking about putting new shocks on my truck, but now I want to, just because I read the thread and read nothing but good about the shocks. Except, I'm new to all this, what do these shocks do for the truck, just make it ride better. Any height diff. And just how easy is it to replace?? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-05-2003 | 09:27 PM
Well, first let me say I have no idea if there is only two shock manufactures or not. However I can tell you that if there were only two manufactures that make all the different shocks except with different labels, or colors etc that they are NOT the same.

The different types of shocks will have different qualities of material, different manufacturing techniques etc. Don’t for a minute assume that just because there are “two” manufactures that there is only two types of shocks on the market but advertised as many different ones with different prices.

It is the same for tire manufactures that produce many different “brands” of tires that may come from the same manufacture. These different “brands” of tires will have various different qualities of materials used to make them. Basically the cheaper the price, the cheaper the quality of material and/or process used to produced, same as with shocks.
It comes down to the old saying, you get what you pay for. Go with a cheap shock for $20 and it will not last as long, nor have the same quality as a $40, $60 shock.

Old 06-06-2003 | 06:47 AM
APT
Originally posted by BigCountry
Ok, I just read this whole thread and was not thinking about putting new shocks on my truck, but now I want to, just because I read the thread and read nothing but good about the shocks. Except, I'm new to all this, what do these shocks do for the truck, just make it ride better. Any height diff. And just how easy is it to replace?? Thanks for the help.
If you have worn out shocks, new ones will make it ride bettrer and handle better. Shocks do not affect ride height.

Pretty easy to install. Took me about 2 hours for all 4, but next time it should be less.

Old 06-07-2003 | 10:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by BigCountry
Keep in mind that shocks are only a damper. They restrict the springs from bouncing up and down. I'ts the springs that hold the truck up and determine the hight.

A better shock gives the truck more stability without adding wheel bounce. The adjustable RS9000x allows you to control that stability. The highest setting is a bit of a stiff ride, more like you would experience in a sports car.

Old 06-10-2003 | 11:07 AM
Well I finally have my 9000x on my truck still playing with the adjustments. will let you know where I end up
Doug

Old 06-10-2003 | 07:12 PM

Originally posted by signal5065
Well I finally have my 9000x on my truck still playing with the adjustments. will let you know where I end up
Doug
Glad to hear it, first you have to decide what setting to start with, and you have to try setting 9 at least once for fun.

Old 06-21-2003 | 03:40 PM
Yes I tried the setting 9 a bitt to stiff I have them at 6 right now. I think I will go lower still
Doug

Old 06-25-2003 | 11:13 AM
Just because they are only made by a few manufacturers doesn't mean that they're all the same. Many companies have their shocks built to their own compression/rebounding specifications.

Old 06-29-2003 | 05:38 PM
How easy (or not) is it to change the setting once the shock is installed?

Old 06-29-2003 | 10:14 PM
|
Easy, less than 1 minute to change all four, just turn the wheels to one side to make the change.

Old 06-29-2003 | 11:30 PM

It's easy to change, it's just a dial that turns 360*. The tough part is that you have to get your hand on the shock to change it.

For the rears I lay under the back to the truck and reach out to each shock. It is on the bottom front of the shock.

For the front I can reach over the tire and turn each one. This works good when the tires are clean, but go through some mud and setting them back will be a problem until you clean up the tires.

I suppose it could be done in a minute, but I take more like two minutes.

Old 07-01-2003 | 03:18 PM
I ordered mine a few days ago. Spoke to Sam's yesterday. They had some 800+ orders placed for these shocks during the month. I hope to have mine by the end of the week. :x:

Quick Reply: Rancho RS9000X, set of 4 ($210) Free Shipping