Sqeaking front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005 | 08:16 PM
My 2000 F150 4x4 had sqeeking in the front end and to my shigrin it was the lower balljoints on the control arms, no grease fittings of course, so I replaced the lower control arms because according to my dealer they are non-serviceable(God what a PITA that was). So a grand total of $600 and 18 hours of work later no sqeeks!!! I had to remove the torsion bars (another PIMA) and then I had to drop $100 for an alignment because I figured while I was at it and I had the front end torn apart I might as well replace the worn upper control arms also (not really a PITA). So I hope all of your sqeeks aren't as in depth and as much of a headache as mine. Goodluck guys. I've got to go work on my beast (the rear-end is now sqeeking.... Go effin figure!)

Old 04-20-2005 | 04:03 PM
I just stuck all my joints with a grease gun with the needle attatchment, and shot them full of grease.

Cost me about $2, and took about 5 minutes.

Old 04-21-2005 | 09:41 PM
Yeah I thought my problems were solved but that is not that case. I'm thinking the lower ball joint or the 4wd front drive axle area. I have a extended warranty to cover this stuff and I just hope it covers it because I'm sick of spending money on this beast because either the warranty doesn't cover it or the dumb *** at the repair shop thinks he works on a Nascar pit crew and knows all there is to know about cars and I'm a moron.

My squeak is coming from around that front drive axle boot, and is not the pitman or idler arm. Greased them up nice and good, thought my squeak was gone but I probably didn't bounce the front end enough.

Old 04-22-2005 | 11:41 PM
Well I shot up my lower ball joint on the lower control arm full of grease and jumped up and down on the bumper a bit but my squeak is still there just as loud.

I poked a hole in my lower ball joint and pressed on it so see if anything came out and I squeezed out what looked like water. I'm thinking that thing is pretty much toast but I'm hoping the grease and stuff will work its way down and get rid of the squeak.

Is this going to happen or should I just bite the bullet and replace it?

My noice is sounds like rubber squeaking against metal but the sound seems like its coming from the 4wd drive axle boot or the lower control arm.

Old 04-24-2005 | 06:45 PM
The sound you describe is the exact sound that I had when I replaced my lower control arms. If the grease isn't fixing the problem, and it didn't fix it with mine, I think you are gonna run into more expense in worn tires if you do not replace the lower control arms. The hardest part of the change if you do it yourself will be getting the torsion bars out of your current lower control arms to place them in the new ones. It can be done and the cost with dealer parts is about $360+taxes. You may check with some local machine shops first though because I've been told that as much as the dealers say that the bushings are non-servicable that there are some company's out there that can service them.

Quick Reply: Sqeaking front end