Replaced Lower Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced Lower Steering Shaft

I finally got around to replacing my lower steering shaft tonight. It had been giving me that bump feeling in the steering wheel for a while but recently it started to make a clicking noise as well. Wow what a difference. Steering is much improved and my power steering is ten times quieter. (I think it was causing the steering gear box to bind)

It took me about an hour to remove the old one. The stupid thing had seized together and the two pieces would not slide together anymore. I had to break the U-joint under the dash with a pry bar. It was almost an hour to get it out, but took ten minutes to install the new one.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:23 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Yeah i started to notice it first when I was going over a series of small bumps or potholes. I put up with it for over a year and only changed it because it started making a clicking sound. I actually got used to the feeling and didn't notice it anymore.

Where you are under warranty I'd say go for it and get it changed. It will probably fix the problem. The only reason I waited to change mine is I had to pay for mine. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Replaced Lower Steering Shaft