Lowering Kits and What Shocks to Use

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2000 | 06:15 PM
|
Question Lowering Kits and What Shocks to Use

I'm considering using the Bell-Tech 2/4 lowering kit.

First, Does anyone have a picture of their truck with this done they could post for me to look at?

Second, does this modification help or hinder ride?

Third, what shocks does everyone recommend for a 4x2 S/C to "de-bouncify" it?

Old 07-20-2000 | 10:46 PM
embinns

Click on this link to go back to an earlier post. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000129.html
I think I have the information you're looking for. Find my posting (Mr.Wizard) for details and a photo.

The ride in not bad at all. I used the Nitro Drop shock from Belltech. They are shorter than the stock shocks which is something you really need. The stock shocks might work for a while - but not long!

------------------
Black '97, SC with 4.6, 3.55 gears, automatic, 2-4 Belltech drop kit, SnugTop fiberglass lid, 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler, billet bumper grill, fog lights, American Racing 17x8 wheels with 275-60 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires. Airaid instake.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Wizard (edited 07-20-2000).]

Old 07-21-2000 | 08:49 AM
Cool

This is actually a 3/5 drop using the western chassis coils, shackles, and hangers. I bought the stuff from Sport Truck Direct out of Truckin' magazine and I also got the Doestch Tech lowered shocks that they sell. The ride is not that much different and I even had 1800 lbs. of quickcrete mix in the bed without the tires scrubbing on the fenders.

It is just a tad lower in the back than the front, but the kit is adjustable so that I can raise the back up to 4" instead of 5" very easily. It actually looks like more of a difference in the pictures than it really is.

Old 07-21-2000 | 09:07 AM
|
Thanks guys, that was a big help! Have any of you had any experience with the Edelbrock or the new Monroe "truck" shocks?

------------------
1999 SuperCab 4.6L AT
K&N Filter
Factory Installed Soft Cover
50-Series Delta-Flow Single-In/Out (currently)
Wish List: More Rumble, 2/4 Lowering, aftermarket shocks to "de-bouncify" the ride

Old 07-23-2000 | 12:18 AM
Banned
Hey Chris Im no fan of lowering trucks but your looks pretty good. You should look into gettting some clear corner lenses ont he front.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Expidition front end (no idea why). 17inch 4x4 wheels with 32 inch tires flowmasters with tips, K&N filter, 5-spd, 4.2 V-6 bedliner, bright clearcoat red, stepside, hidden hitch, 3.55 gear ratio, tinted windows and a BIG reg ford sticker on the back window (my greatest joy is cutting people off who have calvin pissin on the ford sign and they HAVE to look at my big red sticker)

Old 07-23-2000 | 11:18 PM
Cool

monroe shocks I have never found to be of quality, they have never performed as stated and they have become tired in just a couple of years. Edelbrock is a good shock, performs well, but is very over priced in my opinion. Several other manufacturers make similiar designs. I personally use KYB's (about $120 for 4 from Performance Suspension Technologies) or Bilstein's (about $175 for 4 from Art's Auto) both on the internet. If I remember right, KYB gas shocks are pressurized to 290 psi and Bilstein's are at 320 psi, both are far above monroe and gabriel in terms of piston size and psi. BTW, the ride is nice, firm but not enough to jar your teeth out

Jeff

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits and What Shocks to Use