Swaybar questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004 | 12:47 PM
I hate to revive this old thread but hopefully some of these members are still active.

Has anyone run into the issue of the plate bolt being obstructed by the brake lines? (Inside of passenger side frame) This is the part that bolts the L bracket. (Along with the J bolt)

Also, tightening the end links is nearly impossible and requires incredible amount of force even with oil. Is this normal? I was using a 1/2in ratchet/socket and an 8in wrench and my whole body was sliding underneath the truck everytime I turned the nut. I checked to see whether there was cross-threading but thread was fine.

Last but not least, the ebrake cable bracket had to be removed for clearance of the sway bar. I have read that a replacement/relocation bracket may be obtained from Hellwig. The Hellwig tech however advised of no such part?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2004 | 01:43 PM
|
Hey Lean.....

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but have been lurking every now and then.

I also ran into some issues when attempting to install a Hellwig rear swaybar on my new 2003 FX4 back in June / July of 2003. I ordered it from JC Whitney. Most of the issues I documented with some photos located in my gallery:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4149

I did this because at the time I was working with Jim Mitchell, who was Vice President Operations/ Finance of Hellwig at the time. He was VERY helpful and even asked that I called him one weekend if I had ANY trouble installing. Well I did and found some of the same issues you mention. Jim took this info and Hellwig re-engineered a bar for the FX4, due to skid plates and such that are not on a non-FX4. Once they re-engineered the bar, he sent me a beta for fitting. Below is the email sent by Jim advising of the issue.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=hellwig

I received the Beta bar and found the same issue with the emergency brake cable. The bracket has to be removed from the shock plate, but then what to do with it??? This is why I still have not installed the bar. Can the emergency brake cable be left hanging? What about the bracket sliding up and down and hitting on things?
I believe the problem happened because when they were engineering the new FX4 bar, they used a Supercrew FX4. It appears the Supercrew and Supercab have different rear-end setups. Looks to me like the SCrew has one shock in front of the axle and the other behind, so the emerg brake was no issue. I reported this to Hellwig, but heard nothing. The bar sits in my garage.

Can someone advise if the emergency brake cable can be left hanging with no support to the shock plate? Is the an adapter, re-location bracket available?

I did not notice the issue with the end link bolts..... of course I put them on loosely and didn't tighten them up.

Old 03-11-2005 | 05:23 AM
jmitchell - What happened to you posting better pictures and instructions on your website? Your instructions that you ship out with the 7621 still leave MUCH to be desired. Come on following through with what you stated you would do.

Old 03-11-2005 | 05:56 AM
Maybe he doesn't work there anymore LOL.

Old 03-11-2005 | 08:47 AM
|
I would sure love to install the beta bar Jim sent to me, but because the emerg brake cable bracket has to be removed and then just hangs loose, I decided to take the bar off until something is done. I didn't want to just cut the bracket off the cable, I'm sure the engineers want some support for the cable. I sent an email back to Jim explaining this and didn't hear anything. That was 9/2003.

If I remember correctly, the only vehicle Jim and Hellwig could get for a trial fitting was a SCrew and I believe they are setup differently underneath than the SCab's. Shocks are staggered with one in front and one behind the axle and I believe the emerg brake cable bracket is located out of the way.

Here are the last contact email addresses I had for Jim Mitchell (Vice President Operations/ Finance) and Dave Wheeler (Design engineer and R&D Manager)

jmitchell@hellwigproducts.com

dwheeler@hellwigproducts.com

Old 03-13-2005 | 09:42 PM
Wow I can't believe this thread is still alive. well, I guess that's really my fault since I originally revived it because of some issues during the install LOL.

Hey MN2000, it's good to see you're still posting on here. I actually have an update since the last time we exchanged info. I had to take the truck in to have the emergency brake lever/cable replaced (I can't believe that thing actually broke!) so went ahead and had the tech relocate the cable to above the leafsprings. The swaybar was knicked and scratched during the last install attempt because of those cable issues so it's being re-powdercoated for the 2nd time. Once I get it back it's should be a breeze to finish the install as almost all the parts are already on. The only thing I'm worried about is the bolts being extremely hard to tighten like I mentioned on the last post.

I'll post a final update with pictures within 2 weeks at the most. (If the weather is dry and warm)

Old 03-27-2005 | 08:43 PM
Okay so it's been 4 weeks but whatever.

After roughly 1 year and a 1/2 after I purchased the Hellwig kit and countless of frustrating hours on the cold garage floor trying to resolve issues after issues. Voila!

Old 03-27-2005 | 08:47 PM

Notice how the ebrake cable bracket hangs loose since there's nowhere to attach it. Further, the left U-bolt is crooked because the bar curves too close to the shock mounts. Both endlinks are also too long by about 3/4 inch so they're a little slanted. Other than that, all is well.

Next project: replace that rusty Flowmaster. Fortunately, the new one is stainless steel and just received a fresh ceramic coating last week.

Old 03-28-2005 | 09:41 AM
|
Hey Lean..

Looks great!!! Are you just going to leave the emerg cable brace hanging loose? Won't that chip away at the nice paint job on the bar itself?

How is the performance? Much difference? You've given me the itch to get under mine again this spring and give it another shot. I just hate the thought of that brace banging around under there.

Let me know. I may even write to Hellwig and see what there response is almost 2 years later.......

Old 03-28-2005 | 10:26 AM
Looks great.

Have you run it much yet? I'm just thinking outloud, not trying to be negative, but it looks like the first time you really got on a hard corner those center bushing mounts would just spin around the axle tube...

Old 03-28-2005 | 01:21 PM
Hey MN,

To solve the cable bracket issue I looked at the other side of the truck. The cable has a rubber surround that looks like a sea orchid (Hard to describe how it looks but that's close enough) which protects both the cable and the leaf spring. I'll just remove the bracket and put that rubber thing on.

Closer,

The rear end feels really tight now. But it's only after having installed the bar that I really thought about how it works. The way it's designed whenever you hit serious bumps or go off the shoulder, there's enough wheel travel that the bar will swing enough that its center curve will bump into the pumpkin. Imagine what would happen if the truck bottomed out. It's not my place to say but I think it's a rather bad design. Actually, my driveway has something similar to a sloping shoulder so I heard 2 thumps going off it this morning. I'll have to check the bar/pumpkin tonight once I get out of my shirt/tie.

It does look nice, I wonder how long the finish will last considering the abuse LOL.

Old 04-07-2005 | 09:34 PM
Thumbs up

Don't know if this helps , but I bought my Hellwig sway bar from JC Witney. I have a 1997 F150 2wd. This was one of the first mods I installed. Amazing handling upgrade!!!! Still works like the day I installed it. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2005 | 11:12 AM
Originally posted by MN2001F-150
closer9

1. Hellwig makes a swaybar specifically for lowered applications.

2. I got mine, which was for a stock 4x4, from JCWhitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.j...ID=39234&BQ=tt

3. I actually paid $112 for the bar after a 10% off coupon and then $17 for shipping ($130 total). Not sure if this is possible, but you can certainly try to use the 10% off coupon code(for orders between $80 and $199) that expires 6/30, it's ATTT428 and it's off of catalog #428T-02. The bar was cheaper in the catalog ($124.95) than what was on their website($139 I think). There is also a program code on the catalog....VBNR7. I called 1-800-865-4227 to place my order and they asked me details about the truck and did ask if it was lowered or not.
Does anyone have the item number for the swaybar for lowered trucks? Im lookin to add one to my 2005 lariat extended cab i lowered 2/4. is there a front bar available also?

Quick Reply: Swaybar questions