Ball joints . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:35 AM
Question I know i dont have F150...but do have ford crown victoria ltd

hello everyone! I know i dont have a F150 but I have a 89' crown victoria ltd and my ball and joints are going out, does anyone have a price guesstamit about how much it would cost me to replace the front drivers side that is going out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ford4ever
It's not anything serious it reduces ride quality and increases tire wear, but your truck's not going to fall apart.
-Jon
Really are you sure about that? This happened to my Truck and everything had seemed fine up to that point.

And this happened to my Brother-in-Laws truck, granted he had a plow on.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...7893&anum=7060

I don't want to worry you, but if there is noticeable play, I'd never go so far as to say a loose suspention part is not something to worry about.

Old 03-07-2006 | 08:10 AM
Should be about $225 in parts and my friend who works on cars told me that you shouldnt be charged more than $100 a side (upper and lower). I paid $212 in parts and have a friend with the tools and a 12 pack and Im yanking them and replacing them today also with an alignment

Old 03-07-2006 | 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ford4ever
Ball joints are relatively cheap and easy to install. Ford ball joints do tend to wear out fast, especially with alot of rough driving. It's not anything serious it reduces ride quality and increases tire wear, but your truck's not going to fall apart.
Im gonna disagree with ya there. I've seen a few instances of ball joints failing, and when that happens, the lower control arm drops to the ground...

Now, if the guy didnt try to sell you on getting them replaced all that hard, then you are probably alright for now. But keep in mind youll need to get it done soon.

I would recommend buying some Moog ball joints and either installing them yourself or getting a different shop to install them.

EDIT: Holy old freakin thread!!! Didnt even realize that lol.

Old 03-07-2006 | 12:26 PM
I just replaced both lower ball joints. There was slight movement and squeaking from the right side joint, so I decided to do both joints.
Here in Toronto you would be looking at $600 to $800 to have the work done. The Haynes manual has no information concerning replacing lower ball joints seperately on my '99 150. It states that the ball joint and the lower control arm are one piece.
You can remove the lower ball joints with appropriate tools, these can be loaned from Parts Source here in Canada at no cost. You need the ball joint press kit and tie rod kit. I purchased Moog joints, because of quality and they are greaseable.
Check the tie rods, they are failing at such a high rate that Ford sent me a notice to check them more often. Ford has not issued a recall.
Replacing ball joints yourself is a difficult job, but if you have the right tools and determination, it can be done. Moog ball joints in Canada are in the $60 range so labour savings are sumstantial.

Old 03-07-2006 | 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs

EDIT: Holy old freakin thread!!! Didnt even realize that lol.
Heh!

Leave it to a noob to resurrect a 5 year-old thread on their first post...

Old 03-07-2006 | 01:41 PM
Just got done putting new ball joints upper and lowers. The old ones were so shot. Took me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do both sides, the truck rides so much nicer now. Its was well worth the $223.00 and replaced the oem with Moog parts.

Old 03-07-2006 | 02:57 PM
lol

Old 03-09-2006 | 09:14 PM
Another post

Yup like I said in another post. Can't go wrong with Moog. Ford "greaseless" ones are crap! Wow this was an old thread. Rise oh dead one, Rise.

Old 03-12-2006 | 05:19 AM
Ball joint blowout!

Well Boys I just had a ball joint blowout. I was heading home from my buddies house and my left lower ball joint gave out about one mile from home. I called my friend's boyfriend who owns a wrecker company and he towed me home. It's a pretty ugly site, the a-arm hit the ground and my 35 hit the wheel well. Now my truck is sitting in the driveway on a jack. I had no noticeable symptoms of ball joint failure and it just went out. I feel very lucky that it didn't happen at 70 on the highway! I guess it's time for four brand new moog ball joints. I don't smoke but I chew tobacco I wish they had a chewing smiley. lol From the appearance no major damage was done other than the ball joints so I'm lucky for that too I guess. Where Is a cheap place to purchase moog ball joints and what tools do I need to replace them?? How difficult are they to replace and what do I have to do to replace them? I don't know how difficult these ball joints are to replace but on older trucks there not too bad. Thanks for your help!!!

Old 03-12-2006 | 06:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by candu
How about $522? Is that about right? Sounds better to me.

[This message has been edited by candu (edited 01-08-2001).]
I was quoted $500 P&L to replace my ball joints. (Quote was March 1st, 2006)

Old 03-14-2006 | 12:06 AM
Never mind I figured it all out. Now my truck has two new cvs, new upper A- arms, ball joints, and new inner and outer tie rod ends. It rides so much better! Tomorrow I'm getting an alignment and in a few weeks I'm getting new shocks.

Old 03-21-2006 | 05:30 PM
Time to rebump this thread

So it seems that the $1500 quote I was given today for new control arms, 4 new tires, and an alignment is a bit high

do the upper control arms need to be replaced at the same time as the lower joints?

Old 03-22-2006 | 03:40 PM
$1500 seems a little high but I did most of the work myself. Ball joints $225.00(upper lowers) tires $640.00 and alignment $60.00. As for the ball joints while your doing one might as well do the other at the same time to save time and labor. I pulled mine at 52k and they were shot beyond belief and the truck has all hwy miles, just a thought!!

Old 03-22-2006 | 06:48 PM
Ball joints

Having new lower and new upper with A arms installed tomorrow for 325.00. Moog parts cost me 185.00. Not too bad.

Quick Reply: Ball joints . . .