Eibach front coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 10:12 AM
|
Question Eibach front coils

Anyone install these and have any comments good or bad about them? Anyone driven an F150 that has had them installed?

Old 07-30-2003 | 02:20 PM
Old 07-30-2003 | 04:27 PM
|
Thanks. I've heard this rumor to be true. I ordered some and will probably have them installed in the next several days. Just wanted to get the REAL inside scoop.

Old 07-30-2003 | 10:08 PM
I thought you were happy with your front drop. What happened?

Old 07-31-2003 | 01:06 AM
|
Talking THIS IS WHAT...

Last week when I tried that "lower leaf flip" modification it really softened up the rear end and I realized that the chopped "L" springs ride pretty stiff. Since my truck transports the wife and kids more than it carries cargo, the ride quality is important. These Eibach springs were on Ebay for $70 so I couldn't pass them up. They arrived today even with the pair of decals still in the box.

But I still have a problem...I am not sure which springs these are, or even if there are different "lowering" Eibach springs. As much as I search, I can't find specific part numbers for these springs online. All I can find is the kit. I think that they lower F150s between 1-2"...but I can't confirm it.

Still need help. Looking for that "PERFECT" ride quality, especially for those long trips on the freeway. KEEP HELPING !!!

Thanks-SACTO

Old 07-31-2003 | 09:41 AM
Eibachs come in 1"-2.5" drops I think. Check their website or call them to find out for sure.

Old 07-31-2003 | 10:27 AM
|
I'll be making that call today.

Must note that these springs look and feel absolutely different than anything I've ever seen. The coil itself is clearly less thick than the stock one. Being less thick, it partially compresses a bit easier, yet the progressive wind provides a different sort of strength...very interesting indeed. It seems that these will probably compress more upon installation too.

Old 07-31-2003 | 11:49 AM
|
made the call...

FYI for those interested... Eibach manufactures only ONE performance spring for F150 trucks. That single spring will drop the vehicle anywhere between 1-2" depending on the weight of the vehicle. I called them today to confirm this, which seemed pretty obvious on their web site, with only one part number for all the different F150 configurations.

Old 07-31-2003 | 04:49 PM
Re: THIS IS WHAT...

Originally posted by sacto150
.........I realized that the chopped "L" springs ride pretty stiff. Since my truck transports the wife and kids more than it carries cargo, the ride quality is important. Still need help. Looking for that "PERFECT" ride quality, especially for those long trips on the freeway. KEEP HELPING !!!

Thanks-SACTO

Hah!!!!! I can relate to this! After I cut my front springs, I got the perfect height and stiffness to combat crosswinds but, my family hates the very stiff ride. I am still using the lowered Toxic shocks since they were stiffer than the stock or bilstien. However, I think I may try the edelbrock shocks, when I can afford to.

Old 08-01-2003 | 09:57 AM
Sacto,

On the Hotchkis, how much of the ride do you think you can attribute to the bump stops?

Steve

Old 08-01-2003 | 10:10 AM
|
Nothing whatsoever.

This is what the retailer also suggested to me, but I still had all sorts of clearance....seriously LOTS and LOTS. The stiffness was immediately evident, the ride was very firm. In a fun way for me it sorta felt like I was driving a RACE vehicle, but that smile quickly faded as my passengers bounced around and noticed the difference too.

I called Hotchkis and asked them about this. They said that they'd heard this comment/complaint before, but that they didn't manufacture it for comfort. The leafs I bought were made to perform.

Now remember I am only talking about the rear of my truck. I never installed anything Hotchkis on the front.

Old 08-01-2003 | 10:21 AM
|
ride test

(this will make you laugh)

I have a very interesting way of determining the harshness of my ride quality. I've found the cup holder in the flip down center console tells the tale.

Stock- smooth, no spilling or movement of any beverage.

Hotchkis rear leafs- along with my kids bouncing around in the back (cab, not the bed) at freeway speeds, my drink in the cup holder actually bounced around too...I couldn't even use it, sodas would spill out the top of the can.

Hanger/Shackle- at 3" of drop all is well, understandably a bit more bumpy...but the beverages do not spill, rattle a bit maybe, but do not spill.

Putting the shims in made everything better.

I think that getting the Eibach springs in will improve things even more. Maybe I'll have champagne glasses in the cup holders and take my wife on a mountain excursion!

Old 08-01-2003 | 10:26 AM
I was refering to the front Hotchkis coils. I assume then that you didn't try them, huh?

Old 08-02-2003 | 12:18 PM
|
EIBACHs...WOW!

Nope, I did not ever install Hotchkis coils. I did however get the Eibachs in yesterday after work...WHOA!

They are ALL that they claim to be...can't even explain the difference. The ride quality is amazing...cornering is awesome. If you want your truck to handle like a car...a sports car, get these.

Hard to know how low they'll drop the vehicle though. I knew that they would compress more than my stock springs, yet they seemed very tall. Even after I removed my chopped L coils they seemed VERY tall. So I did the unthinkable and chopped a coil off each Eibach, worried that the front may have ridden higher than the rear. Even with a coil chopped, they were still taller.

OOPS, didn't need to worry after all. I haven't re-measured yet, but now the front of my truck looks to be another 1.5" lower (looks fine) than before. I could have left them alone.

So this morning I dropped the rear from 3" to 4" via the shackle holes and the truck looks good. With this change though, my camber adjusters will need to go in soon.

Hey, maybe the wife is still sleeping. C-ya!

Old 01-17-2004 | 01:04 AM
Re: EIBACHs...WOW!

Originally posted by sacto150
So I did the unthinkable and chopped a coil off each Eibach, worried that the front may have ridden higher than the rear. Even with a coil chopped, they were still taller.

OOPS, didn't need to worry after all. I haven't re-measured yet, but now the front of my truck looks to be another 1.5" lower (looks fine) than before. I could have left them alone.

I am looking for some more front coil springs. Although the stock coil springs that I cut, provided the perfect height and helped alot in crosswinds and cornering due to the increased spring rate, my truck, now bounces too much and the ride is very harsh. I think my toxic shocks can not keep up with the rebound.

Eibachs are progressive rate as opposed to linear rat re-measured yet, but now the front of my truck looks to be another 1.5" lower (looks fine) than before. I could have left them alone.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I am looking for some more front coil springs. Although the stock coil springs that I cut, provided the perfect height and helped alot in crosswinds and cornering due to the increased spring rate, my truck, now bounces too much and the ride is very harsh. I think my toxic shocks can not keep up with the rebound.

Eibachs are progressive rate as opposed to linear rate of the stock and Bell tech type coils. However, I need a true 3 inch drop. I see that Sacto actually cut the Eibachs! ha!

So cutting the Eibachs did not make the ride harsh?!?!

The cut Eibachs provide better performance yet, less harsh of a ride than, a cut linear spring like the stocks or bell tech types?

Last edited by iron horse; 01-17-2004 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Eibach front coils