Torsion bars and offroading

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001 | 12:34 AM
|
Post Torsion bars and offroading

With the warmer weather coming, today i finally got out to go offroading, first time this year so far. I got my 98 F150 last summer but havent really done anything to it yet. Now i am thinking about gettin ad-a-leafs and turning the torsion bars up a little bit. My friends told me that ill probally crack them if i do that, and go offroading alot. i was just wonderin what you guys think.
Thanks, barto

------------------
98 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4
4.6L V8 3.55LS
Tonno Cover, Brush Guard, Dukes of Hazzard Dixie Horn, 2 150 watt KC Daylighters, Cobra CB Radio

Old 03-11-2001 | 01:06 PM
|
JMC-
No they dont have F150s, but they do know alot about cars and all that technical stuff. I also made this post that because i know there have been problems with other F150s torsion bars cracking. I have 64,000 miles on my truck right now and no problems with anything...yet, and i dont want any problems eather, just like everyone. Im just being cautious about it. And JMC- How many turns did you turn them, or how much higher is it now once you did it? thanks
Barto

Old 03-11-2001 | 07:39 PM
When I bought my 97 with 65K, the next morning I cranked up the bars. I believe about 3 turns. I lifted the front about 1.125" on both sides.

As far as the bars breaking, there are only a few cases. I can count on 2 hands the number of broken bars. Only one person has had both break (at different times). I would guess that there may be a bad or weaker batch out there. There is also different ratings on the bars like the explorers and rangers. The Explorers have like A-C. C being the heaviest bar. You would want a heavier bar for like the 5.4 and supercrew truck vs. the v6 standard cab. Both those trucks will have bars with different ratings. Maybe some of the bars got in the wrong truck like the radiators? I dont know. I know that I have not had one issue with them cranked up. There is just a handful of the millions of 97+ 4x4 F150s that have had the bars break.

Old 03-11-2001 | 08:06 PM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks, JMC and Matt- I think im gonna get crankin and order up some ad a leafs for my truck. ive been thinking about doin this for a long time now and i think i am finally going to do it. I cant wait to see how its gonna look!

Old 03-12-2001 | 12:14 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Barto24,

Do your freinds own a Ford F-150 4x4 with torsion bar suspention? Mine are cranked and did not crack. Yet! Yes I do go off road. I also like to jump rail road crossings. It is neat to see the look on the face of the guy next to you when he sees all four wheels off the ground!

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,