Off-Road Package or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Off-Road Package or Not?

I'm planning to order a new F150 soon. I want a decent road ride and will probably go with some aftermarket shocks or maybe an entire system to smooth things out. Should I pass on the Off-Road package to avoid the heavy springs or get the OR package and just plan on new shocks? Who offers the best suspension package for getting a quality road ride while allowing good off-road performance? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:51 AM
kev
I have a 99 ORP and love it. I use it as my daily driver and for an off road toy. To tell you the truth, I think that the stock suspension system on this truck is one of the best that I have seen. I off road all of the time with friends who have new rams and tacomas. This truck handles the bumps and flexes over severe terrain much better than the ram and tacoma. My one downfall is the large wheelbase on this truck. I bottom out my step rails all of the time, but then again, so does the ram.

It is up to you if you feel that you need the ORP or not. The skid plates are fairly cheap, $250 for all three, and aftermarket shocks can be purchased from Rancho for a fairly decent price. Honestly, the thing that attracted me to the ORP was in 99 they came stock with the 5 spoke crome 17" wheels.

kev

------------------
99 F-150 Red 0RP, 17" factory crome 5-spoke wheels, 5.4L, AT, 3.73 GR, Ext Cab, Putco Bed Rails, Pendaliner, Pioneer P300 head unit. Mods to come: PA 3" body lift and Mickey Baja Belted HP's 35/12.5/17 tires, and dual exhaust.

Other toys:
87 Chrysler Conquest TSI, 350 HP 2.6L 4cyl turbo, 0.020 over, o-ringed, copper head gasket, HV oil pump, race prepped rods, floating wrist pins, JE forged pistons, sealed power rings, marnal head, 284 cam, HD valve springs, enlarged TB, 125psi fuel pump, BCFPR, MBC, T4/5 20G Model 1a turbo, BOV, hardpipes, etc etc.

72 Honda SL350 on/off road twin bike

78 Honda CX500 twin bike liquid cooled, shaft driven.

67 mustang 6cyl, AT, coupe, AC
condition: rust, waiting for restoration

Old 04-03-2001, 02:31 PM
Cool

Get the ORP, I did and love it. Even though I got rid of the 17" rims, and shocks, and front skidplate. But what the hell, I like my 4x4 decals and fog lights

------------------
98 Black F150 S/C 4x4 ORP 5.4

4" Rancho lift, 14 KC lights, lots of other goodies. Check out www.F150World.com/Mudder for pics and all the info.

Old 04-03-2001, 03:11 PM
i got my orp for free, and love it. but if i had to do it again, and had to pay for the package, i think i would pass.

Get some stronger aftermarket skids, and rancho shocks. The ford ones are good, but being in the exact same truck, i don't notice a better ride (nor a worse one) with the ORP.

I don't think you can justify it for the price, especially since you can't get the sweet 5spoke chrome wheels anymore. 8)

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S

Old 04-03-2001, 08:47 PM
jo mamma,
The off-road package does not have any different spring's than a regular f-150.The only thing different in the suspension is the h.d.shock's.The rest of it includes off-road decal's ,17"wheels & tire's,skid plate's.

Quick Reply: Off-Road Package or Not?