Spring Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001 | 06:27 PM
|
Post Spring Spacers

What are those spring spacers called and how much do they lift the truck and how much do they cost pics would gbe great.

Old 04-30-2001 | 09:11 PM
Do you mean coil spring spacers? They lift the truck (the front at least) 1-2 inches depending on how many you use. A set of 4, which will lift the truck 1" is $5 at autozone. If youare talking about leaf springs then you need lift blocks which are $20 and will lift the truck 1-4 inches.

Old 05-01-2001 | 12:46 AM
I got the daystar polyeurethane ones for 1.5 inches of lift...any bigger and you need an A-arm kit. Mine were 70 bucks.

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Things to come:4.10 gears, Grill
ilmagill@aol.com For Pictures :
www.geocities.com/ilmagill

Old 05-01-2001 | 09:32 AM
I just picked up a pair of the doughnut ones from Pep Boys for $12. They have grooves in both sides so they can be inserted into the middle of the spring. I'm thinking about cutting one side down flat and putting them under the springs. They look like they will give me about an inch of lift. They'll go in when I get new shocks.

------------------
2000 XL 4.6 5spd 2WD reg-cab long-box 3.55 LS 265/75/16 Chestnut (not 2-tone) Raven-Cap (and a '66 GTO with a '73 455, both combined cost less than a Lightning )

Old 05-01-2001 | 10:41 AM
I've heard the spring spacers in the middle of the spring are bad stuff. They can come out when the coil is being compressed and uncompressed, and when they come out, they come out fast and hard.

Old 05-01-2001 | 03:23 PM
hey ilmagill, just curious where you bought your spacers . . . i bought the ones that go in the middle of the springs a while back, but i couldnt find anyone to install them for the reasons listed above . . .

***JasoN***

------------------
Oxford White 1998 F-150 STX, reg. cab, flareside, 4.2, auto, 3.55s, tint, Prestige alarm, Bel radar detector, Pioneer CD player, 4 Polk 5x7's, Stull billet grille and bumper insert, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N airfilter, V-Tech Tailight Covers(painted to match truck), removed factory mud flaps, Clear Corner Lenses, DJM shackles(removed for lift), Billet Oval Mirror, 3in. Body Lift, lift lips, chrome tow hooks, Pilot driving lights mounted behind billet bumper insert, 16x8 Ultra Wheels, 305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S, Custom door ding from some a$$hole, Fabtech Spindle Lift, 2in. blocks out back FUTURE MODS: rancho rsx shocks, 1 1/2in. coil spacers, 2in. add-a-leafs, 315/75-16 yokohama geolander mt's, and still working on getting that dang door ding fixed . . . FIGHTIN TEXAS AGGIE C/O '03

Old 05-01-2001 | 07:45 PM
The daystar ones I had ordered from 4wheel parts at like 70 bucks....jcwhitney is 68. 4wheel parts did my install and alignment (i needed one anyway) for 200, including the install of my PC ES3000's. The inside the coil ones i hear are bad news, on top or below the coil is the way to go....besides it been done on jeeps since forever...or since they switched to coils anyway. If you install yourself...check on posts by G Patrico, he did the same spacers and installed himself.

Old 05-02-2001 | 02:43 PM
Meek,
You will be able to get by on your current shocks if you only use up to a 2" spring spacer. You can pretty much get spacers made to fit any vehicle in any length you want, I have a friend that makes them, we'll talk. Like I said earlier, can't help you with the torsion bars cause I don't know much about IFS. Didn't Jon screw with his Nissan and it made the ride significantly worse? I imagine it would have the same effect on your truck too.

Old 05-02-2001 | 03:22 PM
Thanks Z...MEEK:P

------------------
1997 Black 4x4 F-150 XLT 4.6L 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's Eagle Alloy Wheels, K&N Airfilter, Flowmaster Exhaust, Dual tips off of one pipe. Nerf Bars, Brush guard, 2 Ralley Lights, Sony X-plod head unit, Jensen 500 watt amp, Sony X-Plod 10" Sub

sooner or later: a lift and bigger mud terrain tires
meek47@f150driver.com

Old 05-02-2001 | 04:51 PM
If anyone wants more info on the Daystar Spacers, they have a website.

http://www.daystarproducts.com/

Old 05-03-2001 | 12:04 AM
Question: What model trucks will these spring spacers work on? I like the function and cost of this, and am gonna start looking into it. Will I need new shocks? While I am thinking about it....what does adjusting the torsion bars do for my height and ride quality? Looking for a "cheap" way to get bigger....MEEK

------------------
1997 Black 4x4 F-150 XLT 4.6L 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's Eagle Alloy Wheels, K&N Airfilter, Flowmaster Exhaust, Dual tips off of one pipe. Nerf Bars, Brush guard, 2 Ralley Lights, Sony X-plod head unit, Jensen 500 watt amp, Sony X-Plod 10" Sub

sooner or later: a lift and bigger mud terrain tires
meek47@f150driver.com

Old 05-03-2001 | 12:39 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">originially posted by ilmagill:
....besides it been done on jeeps since forever...or since they switched to coils anyway. </font>
Yep, you're right. I've got 2" spring spacers on top of my 4.5" coils on my ZJ (grand cherokee) right now giving it 6.5" of lift.
Adding a coil spacer is probably the easiest way to get a small amount of lift without changing the handling and ride characteristics of a vehicle. I imagine though that you can't put too much spacer on an IFS vehicle. I've never heard of the spacers that go in the middle of the spring, but that doesn't seem like a very safe way to do it either, for the already mentioned reasons. Besides, installing spring spacers on top (and that is where I strongly recommend you install them) of the springs is a simple task. Head down to the local autozone or advance auto and borrow a set of strut compressors, not spring compressors, strut compressors, trust me. and it's a simple matter of compressing the spring enough to slip the spacer in. If you have front bumpstops inside the spring then you'll have to take the spring out, slide the spacer in and the re-install the spring. Just repeat for the other side. You could probably buy the little rubber isolator pads that came factory on ZJ's and XJ's (grands and cherokees) they are around 3/4" each. Some sort of composite or resin would be best, as my poly spacers seem to be compressing on themselves.

What do you guys think of your 8.8 axles...cause I'm thinking of swaping one under my Jeep cause the D35c sucks.

------------------
'94 ZJ, 6.5" lift

Old 05-03-2001 | 03:00 AM
Coilspring spacers do not work on torsion bar equipped IFS trucks... this means they will NOT work on Meeks 1997 4x4 Ford... Cranking the torsion bars up on a Ford 4x4 can provide around an inch or so of additional height - more than that causes a harsh ride. If you have any additional questions, post them at http://www.supertrucksunlimited.com/phpBB/

To answer the question regarding a Ford 8.8 swap into a Jeep... A good friend of mine swapped an 8.8 from an Explorer into his Wrangler... There is a write-up at Off-road.com on this available here: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/Ford8.8/97.html

Tony is a great guy and usually can answer any Jeep related question - especially swaps.

------------------
Jeff @ CST / STU
www.CaliforniaSuperTrucks.com
www.SuperTrucksUnlimited.com

Quick Reply: Spring Spacers