40 mph hop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001 | 07:59 AM
|
Question 40 mph hop?

I used to think this was just an anomoly with my truck, but I just recently took delivery of a new 2001 4X4 that exhibits the exact same symtoms!

Between 30 and 44 mph, I experence a hopping sensation that can be felt through the drivers seat. It seems at it's worse at 40 mph, and disappears completely after 45 mph. I have had my 99 4X2 to several dealerships, several times, and they all point fingers at the tires (Goodyear Eagle GT II's). The tires have all been replaced with new Eagle GT II's since the truck was new, and the problem persists. The tire dealer points the finger at the truck saying it's a suspension problem. On my last visit to the Ford Dealership, the service manager swapped all four tires and wheels with a set of BF Goodrich LongTrails from a 2001 Larait, and claimed the problem went away! I was not on this test ride, so I'm stuck with his opnion. He claimed the hop was caused by the tread design on my Eagle GT II's. My new truck exhibits the same problem, and it has BF Goodrich LongTrails! Now I'm back to thinking it's a design flaw in the suspension or some other drivetrain component. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? The feel of the hop is exactly the same in both trucks, and can be felt on several different roads (just to elliminate the fact it may have been the road surface). It always starts arounf 38-39 mph, is worse between 40-41 mph, and seems to disapear after 44-45 mph! Unfortunately, all the roads that lead to work are posted 35 mph, and the average traffic flow is right at 40 mph! On the plus side, I have been loosing some weight from the constant jiggling! Any thought, comments, or possible causes would be greatly appreciated! Also, if you have experienced the same type of sensation with your truck, please post here so I can tell the dealership it's not just in MY head! Thanks...

I also posted under Tires and Wheels...
------------------
Paul...
My Truck: 99 White F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

Company Truck: 01 White F-150 XLT SC 4X4, 5.4L, Auto, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Otherwise Stock!
What more is there! The best of both worlds!

ptarnuzzer@home.com

[This message has been edited by PaulT (edited 06-05-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001 | 03:23 PM
Hey PaulT.

I have a 1999 F-150 XLT with the same problem. I would swear that you were driving my truck. What's the problem? I have know Idea. The Ford dealer said it was because my wheels were balanced on the inside and not on the outer edges.

Old 06-06-2001 | 03:34 PM
I would have to agree with the dealer that the tires would be out of balance. Static balancing (weights on the inside) isn't as accurate as dynamic balancing (both sides). But brand new tires and rims should not be very far out of balance in the first place. If it is a balancing problem you will need new tires within 10,000 miles because when the wheels hop the tires don't wear even. If you run your hand over the tread it will feel choppy.

-Jon

Old 06-06-2001 | 06:48 PM
|
Question

badbubba/Ford4ever,

All my tire weights are on the outside, and they are spin balanced every 4000 miles! All 4 have been replaced (at different times), and there is no uneven wear or choppy feel when you rub your hand over the tread! Besides, the new truck has a different size and brand of tire, yet exhibits the same problem! I really don't know what transmission is is either truck, but the only readily apparent similarity between the two is they both have the 3.55 LS rear axle. So, can the rear end cause a wheel hop while cruising at a steady 40 mph on a smooth road?

------------------
Paul...
My Truck: 99 White F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, Superchips Flip Chip, and the Original F150online Decal...

Company Truck: 01 White F-150 XLT SC 4X4, 5.4L, Auto, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Otherwise Stock!

ptarnuzzer@home.com

[This message has been edited by PaulT (edited 06-06-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001 | 11:57 PM
Hey PaulT,

I have just ordered some new ProComp 9000 shocks to go on my truck. Maybe that could be the problem. The origanal shocks are hydrolic and the new ProComp's are gas charged, maybe they will stop the bounce.

I will let you know......

Old 06-07-2001 | 01:45 PM
|
Badbubba,

I was under the impression the stock shocks were gas charged! I guess I was wrong! Also, is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

------------------
Paul...

ptarnuzzer@home.com

Old 06-07-2001 | 06:04 PM
PaulT,

My truck is 2wd. And you may be right about the origanal shocks being gas, but I have Rancho 5000 on it right now which are not gas but they soon will be, My ProComp 9000 will be installed on Friday....

Old 06-08-2001 | 11:53 PM
PaulT,

Got my ProComp shocks on now and the ride is stiffer but the bounce is still there!

Your guess is as good as mine.....

Sorry I could'nt help.

Old 06-09-2001 | 01:21 AM
I have very nearly the same problem. Shudder between 30 - 45 mph. The worst is at 37-38 and then at 42. Happens during acceleration or coasting. Either it's getting worse, or I'm just more and more aware of it as the weeks pass. I have Monroe gas shocks and I feel no difference between those and my stock shocks. Is all this vibration the transmission, wheel imbalance, differential or what?

It's really ruining my driving experience and I want to get to the bottom of this as well.

Old 06-09-2001 | 02:10 PM
|
Question

What rear ends do you guys have? I have the 3.55 LS in both trucks, and both display similar sympyoms. It's the only common component, besides the brakes, in both trucks.

------------------
Paul...

ptarnuzzer@home.com

Old 06-09-2001 | 05:32 PM
Bubba,

Had a some what of the same problem. My problem was the u-joints. Ford checked out all the u-joints, found out the one joint going to the rear was the wrong u-joint. Now this is from the factory. Imagine that. They told me it wouldn't have lasted much longer. Might not be your problem. But wouldn't hurt to have them checked out though. One could have just went bad. It happens. Good luck. Let us know what it was when you find out.

------------------
1997 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road
4.6L Auto.
3.55 Gears
All Power Interior
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
Sliding Rear Window
17" Rims W/ Goodyear RT/S P265-70R-17's
Cervini's Ram Air Hood
K&N Gen.
SUPERCHIP