Progressive helper springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001 | 07:11 PM
|
Question Progressive helper springs

I'm a new guy here and this appears to be a good site with some great people and sound information. I would appreciate your help regarding "helper" springs.
I've loaded the F-150 SuperCab up for camping (1/3 to 1/2 load of firewood the rest camping gear). My truck sagged almost 3" at the hitch (nothing hitched up to it). I plan on buying some type of camper (popup/or t.t.) next year (within the weight limits of my tow package). I went to the local "off road" center and they spoke of a new product called "SuperSprings". He quoted me a price for a set rated for a 3300 lb. increase in load capacity. I also found these aprings come in a 2000 lb. rated set.

You can read the details of my truck in my signature. The truck only sagged 1/8" after the fiberglass cap was installed. I have three leaf springs on my stock rear suspension. The truck is rated for 700# tongue weight/7000# trailer weight. It has the 2000 # payload package.

1. Which weight rating would be the most reasonable? (The guy showed me the F-350 with "SuperSprings" they had in the lot). 2. Has anyone ever heard of or have any experience with "SuperSprings" products. 3. Anyone have any comments on the "Helwig" progressive helper springs? I notice that they also have several different weight ratings.
The truck is used 98% of the time for regular driving (until I get the camper) to and from work (12 miles each way), etc.. I would like to retain the stock "ride" (as much as possible), minimize sag and eliminate sway when carrying a load. Thanks in advance

------------------
Camper Dan
'98 F-150 Super Cab
4.6 l. V-8 K&N Generation II FIPK
K&N 3" "304" ss single exhaust system
Auto trans, 3.55 diff.
Towing pkg.
A.R.E "Impluse" Cap

Old 06-08-2001 | 07:31 PM
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site. I've got a post that should answer most or all your questions. It's specific to the Hellwig system.

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001712.html

Old 06-09-2001 | 09:29 PM
|
Talking

MitchF150,
Thanks for your response. I have been looking at that Hellwig progressive helper spring set. So you installed the 2500 # set and are happy with the results, huh? I had about the same amount of sag (4"- 5") when I hauled all that firewood last fall for the big campout. It would be interesting to hear how they work out with the box loaded up. Do you notice any sway reduction riding light?
Thanks again.

------------------
Camper Dan
'98 F-150 Super Cab
4.6 l. V-8 K&N Generation II FIPK
K&N 3" "304" ss single exhaust system
Auto trans, 3.55 diff.
Towing pkg.
A.R.E "Impluse" Cap

Old 06-10-2001 | 11:40 AM
I think there is less sway now. The rear end really firmed up after installing these. But did not hurt the ride any. It's not as "musshy" feeling anymore. At sits better with a load. With the adjustment flexability these springs have, you can just about have any firmness you want. I have not tried a higher adjustment (firmer). I have thought that if I ever haul over 1000# sometime, I would give them a few more "cranks" for that load.

Quick Reply: Progressive helper springs