Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that sucks, But it was cool that the dealer actually hooked you up with no hassle that is a rarity these days.
I gotta ask, Did you crank them up really high or other wise stress them at all? like Heavy duty bumper or winch or heavy offroading or anythiung you might want to mention for use to possibly avoid?

------------------
Y2K F150 4x4 XL Med Torredor Red
4.2 5 speed,AIRAID, SuperCHIP,
3.55 LS, Leer camper shell, bedrug,
Ranchhand Rover Brushguard with 6 LIGHTS and
Wireless remote switch Tint/alarm/ aftermarket keyless entry/locks
2m/10m/11m/12m radios, Scanner
LT285/75/16 BFG All Terrains
regulator@f150driver.com

Old 01-24-2001, 10:20 PM
You know that I feel for you...

But, 56 complaints in how many 4x4 97+ F150s sold in just the US alone? You are talking less than one hundreth of a percent. I dont see the urgency here and I am sure the NHTSA & Ford is seeing the same thing. Sorry to rain on your rant here.

Old 01-25-2001, 12:23 AM
Post Torsion Bars

I had the Driver side Torsion Bar to break on me on the 5th of January 2001. I was getting ready to leave work when, I got in the truck started it put in reverse and before the truck even moved, BANG the left front corner dropped. The Dealer fixed the Torsion Bar even though the truck was out of warranty; so I am happy about that. But in Talking with the Dealer they said that they have fixed several with broken Torsion Bars. They also said that there are no recalls. I have contacted Ford Motor Company via telephone and E:mail to complain to them. They took the my information.

I also checked with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) there was a complaint filed in 1998 but it was closed out and not considered to be a safety defect. Upon further investigation the NHTSA has a total of 56 complaints listed covering 1997 and 1998 Model years. If anyone has had one of these Torsion Bars to break I would encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA and Ford. Here is the NHTSA toll free number 1-888-327-4236, do not hesitate to call them. This, in my opinion is a problem that Ford needs to take care of.

It is said that this is not a safety issue. Well if not, think of what would/could happen to you the next time you slide under there to change your oil and one of these bars break. Yes, I know you should use jack stands.

Cherokee

Old 01-25-2001, 11:10 AM
No. The only thing I do is drive back and forth to work. The truck has never been off road and the truck is all stock with exception to exhaust. I do not tow, there is no winch or anything of that nature. The torsion bars have never been touched.

Cherokee

Old 01-25-2001, 11:19 AM
Matt90GT, you're right about that.
according to my sources, they have to have 200+ reported incidents caused by the same component in the same manor in order to issue a factory recall.
This is actually explained almost perfectly in the movie "Fight Club".
That, however, is not my source. I used to work for a Ford dealer. I still have contacts.

On the other hand, what would happen if you were driving down the road and BAM...the front corner of your truck drops, the shocks blow out in the front, you slam the brake pedal to the floor (because most people do, which is not exactly the right thing to do), you yank the steering wheel, and go skidding and bouncing off the road. Possibly even hit something/someone or even flip the truck depending on the shoulder of the road you're on. Now...I don't know about you, but that would put a serious damper on my day.

Anyway...there's always 2 sides to every story.

Old 01-26-2001, 08:56 PM
Yeah, most people do not know how to drive.

I grew up around the race track and 4 wheeling. With 285s, would be about the same as a torsion bar breaking if it went flat.

You know with the explorer problem, it is driver error causing roll overs more than tire blow outs. I have had 3 explorers now and they dont have issues rolling. now granted the Firestone ATX tire on them stock is the worst piece of rubber ever made for a vehicle! stay away from that crap they call a tire!

Old 06-04-2001, 08:30 PM
I just got off the phone. I told them someone changing there oil is gonna get crushed if the torsion bar snaps. They took all my info. My torsion bar driver side snapped at 65,000 miles. 191.00 to fix too. I bet we see a recall on this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherokee:
I had the Driver side Torsion Bar to break on me on the 5th of January 2001. I was getting ready to leave work when, I got in the truck started it put in reverse and before the truck even moved, BANG the left front corner dropped. The Dealer fixed the Torsion Bar even though the truck was out of warranty; so I am happy about that. But in Talking with the Dealer they said that they have fixed several with broken Torsion Bars. They also said that there are no recalls. I have contacted Ford Motor Company via telephone and E:mail to complain to them. They took the my information.

I also checked with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) there was a complaint filed in 1998 but it was closed out and not considered to be a safety defect. Upon further investigation the NHTSA has a total of 56 complaints listed covering 1997 and 1998 Model years. If anyone has had one of these Torsion Bars to break I would encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA and Ford. Here is the NHTSA toll free number 1-888-327-4236, do not hesitate to call them. This, in my opinion is a problem that Ford needs to take care of.

It is said that this is not a safety issue. Well if not, think of what would/could happen to you the next time you slide under there to change your oil and one of these bars break. Yes, I know you should use jack stands.

Cherokee
</font>

Old 06-04-2001, 10:10 PM
Ok Jacques Nasser. It is great to get all fired up, but you are not the first or last to get on this rant. Look at the Chevy trucks, they have had these problems also since the IFS intro in 1987.

It would be great, but they ford would have to do something about the door incase the cracks create so much rust that you fall thru the door while driving at 65 and then your truck jumps the median and kills millions of people on the otherside all the while with the firestone tires that just got recalled and you never made it to the dealer to switch them out, has the tread peel off of them!

Sorry, I hear you for sure! just being realistic

Old 06-04-2001, 11:37 PM
Exclamation

I wonder how many people have broken torsion bars and not reported it?

------------------
1997 F150 4x4

4.2L V6
Open Filter Housing
K&N Filter
Factory 5-Speed
3.08 Gears
3" PA Body Lift
305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S
16x8 American Racing Baja

2000 BOMBARDIER DS650

Completely Stock

Old 06-05-2001, 07:30 PM
Lightbulb

Why not just spend the time and the $270 and put a set of 250 torsion bars on it and forget all the worry?

my 2 cents

Old 06-06-2001, 02:13 AM
Turtle174

Did you put the F250 bars under your rig? I am thinking of putting them under mine for a tougher ride. Do they come out easily? I know what thye're all about, because I have been tweaking the torsion bar height, and had a good look over them.

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 SC SB 4.6L. Riding on Sport King 265/75R16 AT's. ProComp 3000 shocks. Add-a-Leafs and rear block lift, torsion lift. Side Bars and pushbar. WMS Intake, Gibson SS exhaust and Superchip!

Wish list: 4.10 Gears, Hedman Hedders, 3" body lift, 33x12.5 MT's!!

Old 06-11-2001, 02:51 PM
Wink

No I dont have them yet I want to wait until I get my lift on and make sure they will work with it. But I am planning on adding them. If you do a search I think there are a few people on here who do already have them.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bars