Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ball Joints

What is the problem with the ball joints Ford is installing?! I have a '98 F150 2x4 48000km and the lower left ball joint had 1/2in play. Took it in to the dealer and he said it was the third one he replaced this week. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Old 02-24-2000, 12:43 AM
Dan. I had uppers and lowers replaced a 7k. I took it to the dealer because it squeaked every time I stopped. Dealer told me the joints were dry from the factory. Asked if they would replace the joints that have grease fitting. Ford replacements don't have them and since it's under warranty I was out of luck.

Henry.

------------------
99 F-150 XL 4x4. RC Flareside 4.6 5spd, 3.55LS. gibson 3" cat-back, K&N Gen ll.Westin step bars.Ventshade window deflectors and bug deflector. rhino liner and a cool white shifter ball.

Old 06-09-2001, 12:42 AM
Cool

Dan, Ford has not figured out the problem either. I have a 2001 Supercrew F150 2x4 with it's second set of ball joints ordered and it only has 19K - all street, no rough dirt/farm, etc. The dealer said they have no service buliten updates either. I asked if we were going to keep replacing them every 9500 miles or so and they said "Hopefully not". Talked to some other "fellas" and they said "welcome to Ford". I know the current ones are intended to be lubeless, but they obviously don't work. I may take this next set to the machine shop and have zerts put in. Let's see if anyone has tried that.
David.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan DeGaust:
What is the problem with the ball joints Ford is installing?! I have a '98 F150 2x4 48000km and the lower left ball joint had 1/2in play. Took it in to the dealer and he said it was the third one he replaced this week. Has anyone experienced similar problems?</font>

Old 06-11-2001, 11:57 AM
I have on older model 93' and had the joints replaced at about 70k. They had tons of slop and even though they were greased regularly they were dry as a bone. The problem now is that the new ones have to be greased about every 3000 miles or i get lots of squeaking and other noise. Oh well.

Thomas

Old 06-11-2001, 10:51 PM
Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan DeGaust:
What is the problem with the ball joints Ford is installing?! I have a '98 F150 2x4 48000km and the lower left ball joint had 1/2in play. Took it in to the dealer and he said it was the third one he replaced this week. Has anyone experienced similar problems?</font>
And I thought I was alone, my tie-rod (outer-on drivers side) just fell off in the parking lot. Ford said they were good (lube that is) for 100,000 miles I asked if they would lube it for me and they said they would but I didnt do it stupid me huh. Anyway sounds like they (Ford) has a problem. I e-mailed them and they called me after the second one and told me if I hadnot installed it myself then maybe they would have done something. I havent finished with this yet. 1997 Ford F-150 2x4 ext cab stock with 60020 miles now when end fell out had 57,800 Oh well so much for lubeless joints.........huh

Old 06-12-2001, 12:17 AM
Printman: Let me understand, the rod just fell off???? That's wild! I have bad images of going down the road when this happens. I checked mine, and unless the stud-equiped end comes apart, this won't happen. Can you further explain your failure? Have you tried any aftermarket pieces which have the zerts?

Old 06-12-2001, 12:38 AM
Not the ball joints in question, but I too have suffered from the tie-rod end failure. The passenger side tie rod end let go while I was leaving work one day. Felt like a tire had gone flat or something. I had about 120,000 miles on the truck at the time. This was the 1st repair job on anything for this truck, other than regular maintinence and a few minor warranty issues, so I am not complaining (too loudly). The driver side also needed to be replaced. Symtoms included a wandery feeling on the road, that were not picked up by me due to it being the winter when the failure occured, and the roads were not that good.

FYI - the dealership where I had repairs made at was a light thru medium duty truck dealership. A comment was made that they see a lot of tie rod ends on the 150's, and a lot of ball joints on the super dutys. That may have something to do with it being winter and the number of plow vehicles dealing with all the snow, but thats just speculation on my part.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT, Flareside , Moonlight Blue, 4x2, SC, Auto, 4.6L, 3:08's, Cargo Cover by Century, bed liner, Blue Oval reciever hitch plug, Driver Design bug deflector, Monroe Reflex Shocks, 235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler AT's, sliding rear window, captain's chairs, Valvoline Durablend Oil, Purolator Pure One Oil Filter, and 125,000 miles and counting!

Old 06-12-2001, 10:30 PM
Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TTECHSAN:
Printman: Let me understand, the rod just fell off???? That's wild! I have bad images of going down the road when this happens. I checked mine, and unless the stud-equiped end comes apart, this won't happen. Can you further explain your failure? Have you tried any aftermarket pieces which have the zerts?</font>
Can to work that morning on interstate around 65 or 70 mph nothing out of the order no shakes or shimmies. Left work that afternoon backed up heard noise like something under truck saw nothing backed up somemore same noise again saw nothing pulled forward whole front-end shook then and only then noticed tie-rod end pressed up against back plate of rotor. Mmmmm sure am glad I wasnt on the interstate. The new one from Ford, no aftermarket for outer just inter, has no fittings either for lube, so had dealer needle some in drove a lot better than before. Hope the others dont deceide to do the same. Thanks for the respond, and wish I could find enough of the same problem out there for Ford will listen to us and do something. Ford owner for years but might not be in the future.
Printman

Old 06-12-2001, 10:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by printman:
Came to work that morning on interstate around 65 or 70 mph nothing out of the order no shakes or shimmies. Left work that afternoon backed up heard noise like something under truck saw nothing backed up somemore same noise again saw nothing pulled forward whole front-end shook then and only then noticed tie-rod end pressed up against back plate of rotor. Mmmmm sure am glad I wasnt on the interstate. The new one from Ford, no aftermarket for outer just inter, has no fittings either for lube, so had dealer needle some in drove a lot better than before. Hope the others dont deceide to do the same. Thanks for the respond, and wish I could find enough of the same problem out there for Ford will listen to us and do something. Ford owner for years but might not be in the future.
Sorry about the typo's in a hurry. And yes the tie-rod end just came apart, completely out of the socket no cracks or anything just fell apart. If anyone wishes to contact me, my e-mail address is: waynejoann@prodigy.net
Printman
</font>

Quick Reply: Ball Joints