2" of lift, new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:09 PM
SSR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" of lift, new shocks?

I am going to crank my torsion bars and install some add-a-leafs in the rear. Hoping to get about 1.5"-2 in the front and 2" in the rear. I've heard of people having to get longer shocks even when doing a small amount of lift like this. Anyone have any info?

Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Raising the torsion bars on the front will not require new/longer shocks because even though you are 'raising' the front of the truck, you are NOT changing the geometry of the suspension nor are you changing the length of the travel. As for the rear, I do not know. It depends on where the leafs mount and how it affects the location of the axle.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:02 PM
I've done waht you want to do. I replaced my rear stock axle blocks (2") with 4" w/ proper angle cut. Did not replace shocks. Seems to be OK. I guess the only problem would be if for some reason the rear axle got air born, the stock length shocks could possibly over extend?

Old 10-04-2003, 01:17 AM
No "possibly" about it...They WILL overextend, and you don't have to become airborne for that to happen. The right articulation will accomplish that. You would definately mess up a shock or shock mount if enough stress or hard enough hit was encountered. By changing the blocks you didn't change the 'travel', but you did change the geometry in the form of the distance from the shock mount on the axle in relation to the one on the frame. That distance is increased at the point of full travel and that's where you will overextend and mess something up. Guess if you stay on the highway you'll be OK though. Good luck...

Old 10-08-2003, 01:12 PM
SSR
So it would probably be a good idea to replace the shocks then.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
YES!!...IMO...

Old 10-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I have bilsteins shocks on my truck...in my humble opinion, they are the best shocks ever made for our trucks. I raised mines 2" in the rear and the folks at bilsteins recommend changing the rear shocks out with their extended shcoks if you are going to raise the rear 2 or more inches. I purchased their extend shock and could tell the difference immediately. I discovered my old shocks were extended all but 3/4 of an inch after adding the lift. With their extended shocks, the ride is great.

Quick Reply: 2" of lift, new shocks?