Suspension packages

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension packages

I have an 01 super crew 4x4 lariat. It doesn't say off road or FX4 so I'm wondering what the big difference is between those and mine. also did they change much from 01 to 03.

finally can I fit those 315 70 17 bfg's on my model truck with minor trimming and torsion bar adjustments. If yes can I tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer, will I be affected much, will they rub if more weight is on the truck? The tires look nice but I want to make sure its ok for me to do so.

Im new forgive my ignorance
Thanks

Old 10-14-2003, 06:25 PM
The only thing that the FX4 package gives you is wussy skid plates, super cheap Rancho knock off shocks, different 17" aluminum wheels, and finally the most important thing, and the best part of all the extra money that you paid to get the package................STICKERS!!!! The FX4 and offroad package is nothing really and has nothing different on the suspension. The only thing worth a crap in that package is the skid plates which aren't all that great (too flimsy IMO). If you put 315/70/17 tires on there they only way you'll fit them with minor trimming is if you have them on stock wheels, which will do a couple things. It will make the tires wear funny and wear much faster than normal. It will also void the manufuacturers warranty on the tires. So if you want to keep the 40k mi warranty or whatever comes on the tires you better get a wider wheel. An 8-10" wheel is whats recommended. Also when you load your truck down with those 35s in the rear its gonna be close to rubbing, but if the trailer is very heavy and you pull it alot I'd be looking into some air helpers (at least thats what I'd be doing). As far as towing power its gonna go down after you put those bigger tires on unless you regear your axles. On my F150 I've got a 4.6L and the stock 3.55 gears with 315/75/16s and I flat tow my little Ranger around to offroad trails. OD is just a distant memory for towing, heck under alot of normal driving conditions I have to run in D. With the setup I have even in D its a challenge going up hills just pulling the little Ranger. If you have a 5.4L and 3.73 it might not be TOO bad, but no way can you use OD, and even in D its not going to tow all that great. If you regear you can go to 4.56 gears (gotta do both axles if its a 4x4) which will get you back close to stock. After doing a 3" body lift (thats all you need to fit 35s on 10" wheels and doing some minor cutting if its a 4x4) and running 35s for over a year I love the way the truck looks, but performance wise it flat out sucks. Its wreaked havoc on my steering, I can't stop worth a crap, my towing power and all around driving power are non-existant. Bottom line, it looks cool, but performance is gone, but hey thats what everyone is doing now right Its a good setup, but only if done right. You need to have tires that size on 8-10" wheels, regear to 4.56, and then if you have the money upgrading the brakes would be a good idea, but not really too necessary since you should have 4wheel disc brakes already. If you want to keep your stock wheels and retain some towing ability I'd look for some 285/70/17s. Thats the widest you really wanna put on a 7" wheel, and you won't be able to get these to rub (I never did in over a year of running that setup on my F150 both on road and tweaking it everyway I could offroad).

Old 10-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks for that info. I guess from the sounds of it I'll go with the 285 70 17 cause i want to stay with the stock wheels and get decent wear. Again i appreciate the help

Quick Reply: Suspension packages