help with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with suspension

i just got (3 weeks ago) a 95 extended cab f-150. i was told it had a heavy duty suspendion and towing package. well, i bought a slide in cab over camper for it and after 5 days the rear end was drooping pretty low.
does anyone have any ideas on how to beef up the suspension so the rear doesn't droop so low? would new leafs or springs help.

thanks,
jerry "spot" robinson
spot@vallnet.com

Old 10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helper springs, Air shocks, Rearched springs, Air bag suspention.

There are numerous ways to level out you truck with a load. The big question is are you exceeding the weight limits of your cargo?

If you are within the weight limits the easiest would be the helper springs or air shocks. The air shock will firm up the ride and can be increased in pressure as the load increases. The helper springs will assist the leaf suspension when a certain weight range has been exceeded. A combination of the two can also be used but you would be exceeding the weight design of the frame. Rearched springs would do about the same as the helper springs but there would be no additional hardware - just remove and replace springs - a bit more expensive but the unloaded ride would not suffer as much as the helper spring ride. The Air bag suspension replaces the rear springs with a 4-point assembly with air bags to replace the shocks and leaf springs - it improves the ride, increases the load capacity but is a bit on the expensive side. Check out the on-line stores:

www.summitracing.com
www.advanceautoparts.com
www.napaonline.com
www.nopionline.com

Last edited by Tsquared; 10-28-2003 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: help with suspension