Engine Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 11:30 AM
|
Engine Sounds

I have a 94 f150 4x4 with a 5.8L, 351 cleveland i think. but when its running cold it sounds really well it is hard to explain but it is like different from when it is warm. because when it is warm the enigine sounds like a real nice engine. is there any way i can fix or decrease the start up engine sound when it is cold?

-94 f150 4x4-

Michael Preston

Old 12-10-2003 | 07:46 PM
The engine will normally sound different when it's cold because the engine runs richer, has less timing advance, runs different EGR amounts, and a bunch of other stuff to compensate for the cold temperature of the engine and the outside air.

I doubt that you could change the sound of the engine when it's cold without changing the sound when it's warmed up. My muffler is the stock garbage can and even that sounds different when I start it cold than when it's warm.

If you cant live with the cold sound you may have to pony up for a different muffler and consequently, a different cold and warmed up sound.

Good luck.

Edit: just noticed that I responded to an engine/muffler question in the suspension forum.

Last edited by LE PEW; 12-10-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2003 | 12:37 PM
|
i guess i will just have to live with it. it's not a big deal anyways. i was just wondering what it was. well about the muffler i dumped mine jus to increase a lil horse and noise, but not much. thanks for your advice. ooo yeah i accidently put the post in the wrong spot.

Quick Reply: Engine Sounds