How do you install Rancho RS5000 boots???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003 | 12:41 AM
|
How do you install Rancho RS5000 boots???

Just got my RS-5000's. No directions of course, so how do you go about getting the boots on over the shocks? I jacked with one for about 20 min. and it didn't want to go down too far. Also, once their on, how far up do they need to be? Won't they need to have enough slack to expand with the shock? They will be majorly compressed then while bottomed out right? Thanks!!!

Old 12-15-2003 | 11:18 AM
I just installed a set of RS 5000's in the front of my FX4 a couple of weeks ago so I think I can answer your question. The biggest problem I had was getting the darn boot over the fat part of the shock. A quick shot of Armor All solved that problem. Once the boot was on (without the zip tie), I then wiped off the excess before installing the shock. I didn't install the zip ties until I was almost done and had the suspension at full droop. Once in that position, I tightened and cut the zip tie with the boot in not quite it's fully extended position. The last thing I installed was the Rancho labels so they both faced in the same direction. (Yea, picky, picky, picky.)

By the way, the exact correct positioning of the boot is probably not all that critical in the grand scheme of things. The improved ride over the stock "fake" Ranchos is worth a ton more. Hope that helps!

Old 12-15-2003 | 11:27 AM
|
Thanks man...I finally got them all on and about where they will probably need to be. Also had to add some new air holes at the top of the boots because the bottoms are useless as far down as the boots need to go on these shocks.

Quick Reply: How do you install Rancho RS5000 boots???