Lowering advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003 | 12:56 PM
|
Lowering advice needed

Last night I bought an 01 f150 supercab with a 4.6. The previous owner installed a Flowmaster cat back on it which sounds good but he got a 3" system that I believe is killing power down low.
anyway what I would like to do is drop the truck as it sits too high for my taste. I dont want to go too low but I want it noticeable. Can anyone reccomend a kit (from experience) for this truck that handles well and is not too bad on ride quality? How hard or easy is it to do? Should I bite the bulet and have it done at a shop? If so can anyone reccomend a shop in the Rancho Cucamonga/Inland Empire (SOCAL) area that does good work?

Thanks for reading thru all my questions, I know there are a lot of them. this seems like a cool site and I hope to be able to contribute once I learn a bit more about these trucks. BTW, this is my first post.

Thanks!!!!
Alex

Old 12-30-2003 | 12:50 AM
I went with the 4x2 drop kit from Belltech. It was a very noticeable drop for my truck. As for the installation part, putting the new front springs in was easy and putting the rear shackles on was pretty easy. The hangers for the back on the other hand was a little more work. They are held on by rivets and are pretty tough to get out. What I did was grind the head of the rivet off first, then hit the hanger off, then grind the rivet flush with the frame, then punched the remaining piece of the rivet out. You also have to put wedges inbetween the leaf springs and the rear end. So there was a fair bit of work involved but not very difficult to do. If I can do it anyone can.

If I were to do it again I would probably pull the box off the truck so you have more room to work.

Keep in mind you will have to get a new set of shocks and will have to do a front end alignment.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 12-30-2003 | 02:20 PM
|
Thanks for the reply Zub. I think I will also go with a Belltech kit but probably the 3/4 drop- I like the raked look. I am also looking for a set of Thrust D II's for it but cant find anyone who makes them for the late model f150?

Thanks again.

Alex

Old 12-30-2003 | 08:41 PM
Go with a Roush kit 3,3.5..You only change front coils/shocks and rear leafs and shocks...No hangers...waaaayyyyyy easier !!

Old 01-02-2004 | 03:01 PM
Where do you get the Roush lowering kit

Old 01-04-2004 | 06:32 AM
Old 01-04-2004 | 08:09 AM
Thanks

Quick Reply: Lowering advice needed