question about torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004 | 01:35 AM
|
question about torsion bars

I bought my truck used. Since I bought it the only "modifications" I have made to it are some Rancho RS5000s that I just got for christmas.

In any case, my question is, is there any way for me to tell if the torsion bars have been adjusted by the previous owner? I looked at the screw and they do not look to be even (but for all I know they are like that from the factory...I have heard of them not being even after adjusting them).

Thanks.

Last edited by Johngs; 01-06-2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2004 | 07:28 AM
It could have come that way from the factory, they could have been adjusted during a front end alignment or the previous owner could have tweaked them.

If the body heigth is equal from side to side then possibly one bar is simply a bit weaker than the other.

Old 01-06-2004 | 01:17 PM
|
Yeah.

I know that they may have been adjusted during alignments and etc.

But I wonder if they have been adjusted to give more lift than just the adjustments from checkups.

Old 01-09-2004 | 08:10 AM
About the only thing you can do is look at the bolt used to make the adjustment. There's no sure fire way to tell where it was set from the factory but I can tell you it did not come cranked all the way up. Most likely about 1" of thread showing would be a factory setting. If it's all the way up (bolt ran in completely flush with no threads showing) it was adjusted by someone. Also, it is not very likely that someone at a shop would even touch these while working on it or aligning the front end. They are not used for this and do nothing to align the front end...except of course un-aligning the front end when you do it yourself. That's why you should get it realigned if you raise (or lower for that matter) it any.

Old 01-09-2004 | 12:58 PM
|
Ok, thanks. There is still thread showing.

Quick Reply: question about torsion bars