Body Lift vs Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift vs Suspension Lift

What is the difference? Cost?

What effect does this have on wear and tear of front end?

Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 PM
A body lift lifts the body off the frame, a suspension lift lifts the suspension. A suspension lift is the right way to lift a vehicle, but the reason you see so many body lifted trucks with IFS is that its so much cheaper than a suspension lift. A body lift is just a cheap alternative and it basically cuts a corner to let you run bigger tires but gives no other benefits. You don't get any better ride, suspension travel, etc with a body lift, but instead may cause some problems with rubbing since the suspension is still stock. A 4" suspension lift usually goes for about $1000. A body lift sells for about $150. Both of those prices are without installation. They will both have the same effect on the wear of the front axle, given both were installed correctly. What WILL have an effect on it is once you have it lifted and you run bigger tires, the tires will cause some problems. You will go through wheel bearings, steering idler arms, brakes, and other misc parts on the front end. The reason behind this is that larger tires increase leverage causing more stress than was orginally intended.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:16 AM
kev
Very well written reply powerstroke!

Also I will add my personal experience with a 3" body lift and 35" tires:

Pros:
PRICE!!!!! $135 beats $1500 any day for me. I would still be running my truck stock if it wasn't for the low cost of body lifts.
Great looks due to the recessed frame design on the f-150 (even with the body lifted, the frame is barely noticable)
No problems with CV joints, bearings, idle arms, etc for the past 35k miles.
Excellent off-road improvement. I no longer bottom out on my step bars.
Still rides and handles as it did when stock.

Cons:
I did have some rubbing on the frame with the 35s at full lock (I modified the steering limiters to correct this)
I did have both stock end links for the front sway bar break (don't know if this is body lift related or not, but the aftermarket ones seem to be holding up fine).
Braking is much worse with the large tires
Acceleration decreased significantly with the large tires.
Transmission downshifts more frequently on inclines even with the factory installed optional 3.73:1 GR

kev

Old 01-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help...

Old 01-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Been there...done that

One you start...you're never done. It effects everything. I got scared out of the body lift when i read the very small disclaimer "May cause bed to strike cab body under flex". Not for me!

Old 01-12-2004, 04:32 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I finally got around to ordering a Performance Accessories 3" body lift. A lot cheaper than suspension. If I would have had the money I would have lifted the suspension. Most IFS suspension lift kits do not increase the suspension travel by very much, a few inches at the most. But any increase is a plus. The only plus of a body lift besides allowing for bigger tires is the increase in the approach angle and the angle of departure. The bumpers are raised allowing more clearance at the front and back.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I could afford it, I'd go with the suspension lift. No suspension lift kit is even reasonably priced for the IFS, some of those prices are downright crazy!

Old 01-15-2004, 02:20 PM
I have 6" of lift for 718.00 installed myself not including alignment !

Old 01-15-2004, 02:42 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Capt,

2wd are cheaper to lift. The lowest quality lift for 4x4 is around $1200 + install. A good quality lift has to include a girdle to hold the front differential and lower coltrol arm in a lowered position. This girgle is then reinforced. Lowered torsion bar brackets are also required, a new nuckle is included and finally new rear springs, or a lesser kit uses blocks.

JMC

Old 01-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes 2wd are cheaper to lift , I don't know about all that other stuff you are talking about , I know the lift I installed 2 years ago is still just as tight as when I installed it.I am surprised the front end is still tight after reading all the posts about lifts in these forums .As far as quality I will put up the brand I installed against any !For the way I drive and 95 percent of the other people on the planet this will do just fine.Before all the EGO heads respond about the Fabtech kits they installed , I have Fabtech coils in the front and they SUCK.They were supposed to be a leveling kit but it gave me so much lift the front end could not be aligned so I bought AIM upper c-arms to solve the alignment problem!I have been a AIM customer ever since!

Old 02-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Cool Lift Talk

This is a topic of interest for me I too am in the market for lift. I had a body lift and kinda still do. Its been handed down in the family allready. THe body lifts hold there own. The biggest tire with a 3" body lift I've seen is 33" though not 35. Must of been alot of rubbing. My 33's rubbed, very little but they did. Since I am in the market for bigger and better lifts, I have been researching. Alot........ The 10" IFS lift stay away from. Every Company making one is unsure of them, you can't ever get a solid answer. Talking of full throttle whiplash and truckin suspension. WHiplash and full throttle are different people contrary to all beleif. However the designer of the truckin suspension lift was an ex employee of full throttle. The prices are considerably different and higher then your brand name known suspension makers. Full throttle all options, your looking at $4000, Whiplash all options $3300, Truckin $1350, w/o options and your getting half the suspension. No rear springs 10" shackle hanger combo, I don't think so. I myself have decided that the whole 10" thing is a no no. Stick with who has been around a while and mass producing lifts, not these new guys. You wanna look at some trucks with suspension and body lifts try here. http://www.godmudders.com They are mostly brand name and anywhere from 4-6 in lifts and body lift in combination. To me I find this the best option. Oh and body lifted 97, I talked of earlier, still going no problems besides these damn O2 sensers and being able to reach the spark plugs to change them.(5.4) And the body lift helped that. 175,000 and still running like the day I bought it, after its been through hell and back. Sorry for the long first post on here guys. Just clearing things up.

Shouting out from Iraq right now,

Ashman

Quick Reply: Body Lift vs Suspension Lift