shocks...Rancho 5000 vs. Monroe

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004 | 02:00 PM
|
shocks...Rancho 5000 vs. Monroe

I am in need of new shocks for my 98 f-150 4x4. I have called a few places for pricing and here are the results.
Rancho 5000 (4) installed for $232

another place offered Monroe shocks, the guy told me that they were not the best Monroe shock, but were very good. I can get four installed for $298.

Whats my best deal? I don't tow often but do a bit of offroading, but not too heavy. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2004 | 04:38 PM
I got the RS5000s from here:

http://www.samsoffroad.com/

for $146 for 4, and installed them myself. I soaked all the bolts down with WD-40 and let it soak for about a day, and installed the shocks myself. Took me about 4 hours but I was doing it by myself and also it was the first time Ive ever done the job.

I just went to this thread:
http://66.179.14.118/forums/showthre...hreadid=140066

Made sure I had the right tools (i did not have a cone wrench though).

Only things I have to add to that are:
Suggest getting a small adjustable wrench to use on the top shock mounts on the rear, or else it will just spin on you (did not have this problem with the new ones).
I wouldnt take the rear bottom bolts all the way out until you have removed the top bolt.
You'll probably also need a short 9/16 socket since the deep wont fit when installing the new RS5000s (didnt for me anyway).

The fronts were a serious PITA for me though, once I got the bolts out the shock just kept expanding and it was getting pretty hard to keep it compressed and at the same time manuever (sp?) it out. A seconds set of hands might be useful for the fronts (unless your shocks are totally shot and dont expand very fast/hard).

good luck.

Quick Reply: shocks...Rancho 5000 vs. Monroe