Urethane Bushings vs. Stock Rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004 | 07:43 PM
|
Urethane Bushings vs. Stock Rubber?

I was told I'd get a better ride on my '02 4x4 if I changed out the oem rubber and replaced it with new urethane. Will it really make much of a difference? I think my truck drives pretty smooth already. But, it can get a little rough on bumpy roads. If I change the shocks too, I dont want something real stiff. Any suggestions? I appreciate the imput.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 01-25-2004 | 08:33 PM
What you were told sounds a bit ambigious. Polyurethane bushings are less compliant. Your overall ride WILL NOT be "smoother" with polyurethane vs rubber bushings. Less compliant polyurethane bushings do have advantages over rubber. They provide less flex and quicker reactions between the components that they insulate. Polyurethane also has high strength and durability and is commonly used for handling and power transfer.

Old 01-25-2004 | 09:00 PM
If you want a smoother ride the best thing you can do is new shocks. Max hit the nail on the head with the rubber/urathane comments. Spend your money elsewhere besides bushings for now, maybe down the road they might do you some good, but for now I'd forget them.

Old 01-25-2004 | 09:50 PM
In terms of ride quality, rubber beats the urethane bushings. But for tight handling urethane wins.

Old 01-26-2004 | 10:38 AM
Ditto what they said.

Old 01-26-2004 | 10:48 PM
It's not worth it until your rubber bushings are shot, and they make an overhaul kit for your application. If anything the ride will be stiffer. Go with a replacement front sway bar or shocks.

Old 01-26-2004 | 11:17 PM
If you are thinking of just doing the anti-sway bar bushings and the bar's end link bushings, you can get a set for about $25-$30. I had a local CarQuest store order them from Energy Suspension and had them in my hot little hands within 24 hours.

It takes about 15 minutes to put them on with simple hand tools, so if you don't like the change, you can put your stockers back on easily enough.

I already had good shocks and a rear sway bar on my truck when I replaced the front sway bar bushings. It firmed up the ride and improved the cornering a little, but nothing dramatic.

FWIW, the stock shocks on my truck were garbage, and replacing them was a huge improvement in both ride and reducing body roll.

Old 02-06-2004 | 12:40 PM
New bushings?

I have a '97 and have looked for Polyurethane bushings for my truck but no luck.

Do you know where to get them?

Old 02-08-2004 | 03:00 PM
FYI , You can't use regular grease on Polyurethane bushings . It will destroy them , use Lithium grease.This comes straight from the Lift manufacturer and I also have a set of ruined bushings to prove it.

Quick Reply: Urethane Bushings vs. Stock Rubber?