LLS compressor noise???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LLS compressor noise???

How loud should the air compressor for a four corner LLS system be? I got an '01 Expedition Eddie Bauer just after Christmas and I did notice the noise but now it is really starting to bother me.

My compressor is very loud, from inside the truck it sounds like I have a 20 gallon 2.5 HP air compressor running (it's not quite that loud, but it is very noticable.)

I tried to get a good look at the compressor. I took out the battery, washer fluid resevoir, and was able to unbolt the mounting bracket but the air lines were too short to allow me to turn the unit over and get a good look. I did notice that the compressor has rubber boots/shims that the mounting screws go through and I did notice that the screws had a lot of play within the rubber boots.

Questions:

1. Should there be any play within the rubber boots/shims?

2. If the answer to #1 is "No", then how do I go about replacing the rubber parts?

3. What is the easiest way to access the mounting screws? Is it possible to unhook the air lines without hurting the system? If so, how?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tucker

Old 01-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, I am having the same problem. I have a 4x2 with only rear load leveling and that thing got loud in the last few months. My g/f's Expo is really really quiet so it is either going bad or the mounts are loose. I'm sure there is an expert on here who can help us.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:29 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Make sure nothing is rubbing on the compressor or bracket. Move the componant away from compressor. Make sure the Bracket is not bent and rubbing on anything. Move the bracket or install a new one. Make sure the mounts are not loose or damaged. Replace them if it is. Remove the compressor from barcket and let it run for a few minutes, no more than three minutes. If it is noisy replace compressor if not recheck the mounts etc..

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: LLS compressor noise???