Camber Bolts...Really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way, my dealer has a service follow up on every service call to see whether their customers are satisfied. I explained to this person exactly what happened. While they may never get a chance to prove they have fixed the problem to me, I do hope they learn not to "require" parts that are not really required. "Pretty much they all need it" didn't hold water with me.

Also, for those of you who might think I made a bad choice, it is clear to me that one of the reasons Ford does not make camber adjustable off the line is that it is not all that critical to anything, and your wheels go through a very wide camber range in normal use anyway.

TS

Old 02-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment is very critical. The reason the cam bolts are not installed at the factory is for speed and ease of the production line. By using the preset plate to space the upper A-arm in the right position for the right camber makes it faster and easier for production workers to get vehicles made. This spacer is different sizes for each type of suspension/wheel combo.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Alignment, specifically toe alignment is critical. If camber adjustment was critical, Ford would have included the ability to adjust it, regardless of the cost. I strongly believe, without much evidence, however, that my camber measurement was easily as good as any coming off of Ford's line.

For the reasons stated, camber alignment is much less critical, as reflected in the tolerances in the specification for this. The reason they can cut corners in cost for this part is that it is, in fact, not that critical.

I stand by my assessment.

TS

Last edited by TexasSteve; 02-14-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I've had my front-end aligned at the Ford dealer twice during the past 6 years. Both times, I asked to have the negative camber corrected, and both times they told me that camber doesn't affect anything. The truck does go straight down the road (no puling).

Old 02-15-2004, 01:26 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When camber changes enough to casue severe tire wear it is ususally a result of a broken/damaged suspension part. As long as the mesurements are in spec leave it alone. Caster will effect how the wheels return to straight ahead and controls wandering. If this needs to be adjusted than the cam bolts are required.
Again if it is in spec leave it alone. These trucks are prone to ball joint wear. Big tires, heavy weight, cheap Ford parts and pot holes take their toll. I have a little under 75,000k on my truck and it is on its 2nd set of upper ball joints. The lowers will be changed for the second time in the spring. One tie rod was changed and I will be doing the rest of them in the spring too. You should see my MTRs. What a mess. New tires in the spring too.

JMC

Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks JMC. I am still on my original ball joints with 33's and I check them every 3000 miles and the have little or no play. I currently have 76,000 miles and will probablky change them here pretty soon...maybe next oil change. And TexasSteve, my point was just a CYA factor. If for some reason you have a defective tire the tire dealer may have a case not to replace it if he can prove your truck wasn't alingned according to Ford specs. You said yourself the truck isn't aligned according to Ford spec in your first post. And as cheap and easy these cam bolts are to install you should do it yourself and screw the dealership. Camber is critical for proper tire wear and handling. If it wasn't, then yes, it wouldn't be adjustable. But instead of having every Ford truck alinged before they ship it to the dealership and on to the consumer Ford installs a set plate that automaticly puts the truck in alignment. Quick and easy. This is not the first instance Ford has cut corners on alignment. For those of you who know and love (or hate) the twin I beam suspension you know just about every time you had it aligned you need a new camber adjustment "bolt" (part of the king pin). I guess it goes back to being safe and being stubborn. Yeah, you can just say screw the bolts, everything is fine and leave it be. Thats your right. But I guess I am just a stickler on auto maintenance, just like my dad. I do the best I can do and what I feel is right, and hopefully I will get 400,000 mile out of my truck like my dad has. CYA...Cover Your A**

Quick Reply: Camber Bolts...Really necessary?