2004 F-150 2WD 2" Rear Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stevenslow, Keep me posted please. My groundforce set is still in the box. I guess I will also use the shims. Will you be using hand tools, or and air wrench?

Old 03-11-2004, 04:17 PM
I'll be doing the install this weekend if I can get a day away from work. I'll be using hand tools. Even though I have plenty of air tools I have no compressor. Hey, that just gave me an idea for my christmas/b-day wish list. I'll post after I get it done and do a road test.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:06 PM
I installed mine today with the shims and the driveline looks like it is lined up better than factory. Test drive was good too. I used hand tools, a jack and some stands and it took about an hour. OK mabe a little more.

Old 03-13-2004, 04:09 PM
very easy install!

Old 03-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Shackles

Stevenslow, Thanks for the update. I will also be using hand tools. Where did you place the jack stand. In front of the rear wheels, or behind? How do you like the look? Also, did you use the top hole on the shackle, and how much did you drop? Thanks Again Farlap

Old 03-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Placed the jackstands forward of the wheels and leafsprings where the frame flattens out. I jacked it up so the tires were about an inch off the ground. I installed the shackles first by removing the bottom bolt then jacking up the rear to get the top bolt out. Install was just reversed. I did one side at a time. After I had the shackles on I loosened the u-bolts holding the rear end in place then jacked up the rear to install the shims. Again one side at a time. After everthing was together I tightened everthing up, but not too tight. I then lowered the truck onto the tires and jumped up and down on the rear bumper just to make sure everything was settled then torqued everything down. After my test drive I checked everything again. I guess I should mention that I installed the shims from the front (thinner edge forward) and I used the last hole on the shackles. It got me just about 2 inches exactly and I think it looks much better.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Shackles

Stevenslow, Your installation is reversed from what the directions state on the Ground Force shackles. Putting in the shims 1st, and then installing the shackles per their directions. Since you were successfull, I guess there is no difference. Did you disconnect the bottom shock bolt. This is on the Ground Force instructions. Just curious. Thanks again for your help. I hope to install mine in a week or so. p/s. Are you happy with the drop, and was it 3" or 2"

Old 03-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Farlap, I didn't disconnect the shock bolt and I don't think it makes any difference what part you do first. I got 2in lwr out of the shackles and I like it much better now.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:54 AM

Quick Reply: 2004 F-150 2WD 2" Rear Shackles