rythmic humming

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 07:49 PM
|
rythmic humming

wondering if anyone else has any insight into what this could be. while driving I notice a humming coming from the front right corner of my truck('97 F150 XLT 4x4). it is barely audible in a straight line. in a left turn it becomes slightly louder and I can just barely sense some vibration, more through the seat of my pants than the steering wheel. the humming is hard to describe, it is not constant but comes in and out of phase, the closest thing I can compare it to is the sensation you get in a twin engine aircraft when the props are out of sync.(hope that helps)

Initially I was sure it was my front right wheel bearing, it was on its way out so I replaced it, the humming remained, though significantly reduced. I just got the truck back from the shop (new inner and outer tie rod ends and pitman arm and alignment), the balljoints are still serviceable, still humming. the brakes are sound. the tires don't seem to be problem but I'm rotating them this weekend when I change the transmission fluid, so that will remove any questions about the tires.

could it be I got a bad wheel bearing? it is behaving as though that is what it is. the only other thing I can think of is the front cv joint, however they pass the external inspection, and I can't see them loading up in a shallow turn as described.

if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.
thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: rythmic humming