fan clutch R&R

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fan clutch R&R

Forgive me, but someone gave me the directions on how to remove and replace the fan clutch on a 2001 superdrew with the 5.4, and my daughter accidentally threw it away. Does anybody have the directions? As I recall, it ws very simple. Got the fan clutch from Ford today. Ready to install it tomorrow.
Thanks

Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
You need either a wrench large enough to fit over the end that screws onto the water pump, or a fan clutch tool (this is basically a thin version of said wrench. I didn't have a wrench large enough (my set stopped 1/16 before the size I needed) so I made my own wrench. Here is how I did it.

Remove the bolts from the fan shroud.
Leave the shroud in there but hanging loose.
Take the wrench or clutch tool and put that on the fan clutch where it attaches to the water pump
Take a screwdriver or small pry bar and put that between the bolt heads the hold the pulley for the water pump on and the fan clutch shaft. This is to keep the shaft from turning.
Then just use the wrench and unscrew the clutch.
Af thats off work it out of the engine bay.
After the fan and clutch are out remove the bolts on the fan and install the fan on the new clutch.
Torque the bolts to 25lb/ft of torque.
Then reverse the steps for install.

I've done mine 3 times (cheap parts) and its maybe a 30 min job.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks Powerstroke,
Did you have to unscrew the bolts out of the waterpump pulley in order to get the screwdriver to take hold? I didn't realize I had to take out the fan shroud. Back under the hood.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
No, you don't touch the bolts to the water pump pulley other than to put a screwdriver over the heads to keep the pump from turning. The fan shroud stays in the truck, it just needs to be loose so you can work the fan and clutch out. I wouldn't remove the shroud from the truck, that would be a huge pita.

Quick Reply: fan clutch R&R