Wheel/tire play...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel/tire play...

I just got through putting on new rotors on the front of my 2001 SuperCrew (2 wheel drive). Before doing the job, I noticed a little wheel play on the right front wheel/tire.

Did the brake job and properly adjusted bearing preload...there was still a little movement when I grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and did one of those "push/pull" from top to bottom.

I then figured that either the outer or inner (or both) of the wheel bearings were bad, so I replaced both and now there's still the same amount of play.

So I thought that it might be upper/lower ball joints...inspected them and there's no play at all. I then pulled the grease cap off, pull the cotter pin/lock nut cover and reset the bearing preload to no avail. I even cinched down the nut hard and still had the movement.

The new rotor (Brembo OEM) had the bearing races already installed.

Could the spindle be worn??? Anyone ever deal with this before?

Thanks!....Kevin

Old 03-15-2004, 12:31 PM
ttt...

Anyone?

Old 03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing is how much play? My wheels have a little play in them...beariongs stay cool and I repack them every 5000 miles or so. All the bearings I have ever done have had a little play in them. Second, are you using the races installed in the rotors still? You should always install new races when doing wheel bearings. Use the races that came with the new bearings you bought, not the ones in the rotors already.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
ffdemoss,

I used the new races that were already installed in the new rotors (from Brembo). Bear in mind that I had the same amount of play...a little less than 1/8"...before and after the new rotor/bearings on the right front wheel. The left front has no play at all...I adjusted the preload on it the same as I did on the right front.
I'm trying to figure out why the play on the right front is still there?

thanks...Kevin

Quick Reply: Wheel/tire play...