How To Adjust Torsion Bars???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004 | 08:57 AM
|
How To Adjust Torsion Bars???

Could somebody give me the basics on how to raise the front end of a '03 F-150 4WD? I know it's with the torsion bars, but I've never done it, so any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Shane

Old 04-15-2004 | 12:13 PM
Follow the torsion bar toward the rear...there should be a bolt on each side for each bar, just tightin them clock wise and watch front end rise

It will ride rougher and wear things quicker but its your choice.

Hope this helps

Jimmy

www.ftwtrucks.com/1HIGH4BY/

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3950

Old 04-18-2004 | 02:22 PM
|
Thanks 1-Hi-4-By. Worked like a champ. Now...the next question is what's the trade-off?? Getting 1.5" of lift is so easy has to have a draw backs. Does it throw the front wheel camber/caster off? Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Old 04-18-2004 | 04:46 PM
Yes if you raise them enough then it will throw off the camber and will require an alignment. With 1.5" I'd reccommend getting it checked. Usually if you go with 1" or less you won't throw it off enough to cause any problems. There are a few other drawbacks to this. One is the stiffer ride. When you crank the torsion bars up you're essentially increasing the spring rate of the bars so you have a stiffer spring. This is what causes the rough ride. Aside from that the other drawback is that it moves the ride height of the suspension lower in the travel path. This means that theoretically it will compress more and have less droop. This isn't much of an issue since the factory IFS doesn't move very much anyhow, but depending how much you raised your front you may run into an issue of being limited by the shocks and the CVs.

Old 04-18-2004 | 04:59 PM
|
Thanks for the help fella's. That's what I wanted to know!! Also, How do you correct the camber? Can the guys at the shop adjust something or do you have to buy shims? Thanks again!

Shane

Old 04-22-2004 | 10:32 PM
top A-arms

The shop will do it when they do an alignment. If you look at your top A-arms, they can actually move in and out a little bit...this is how they adjust the camber

Quick Reply: How To Adjust Torsion Bars???