Shock installation question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004 | 09:52 AM
|
Question Shock installation question

Just purchased some Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks for my 2000 Expedition 4X4 based on all the good feedback from this site. Before starting the installation, are there any tips or tricks that I should be aware of? Also should I reuse the stock bushings or use those that came with the kit?

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Last edited by cdnexpedition; 04-17-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2004 | 11:02 PM
I just replaced mine today on a 1999 F-150 4x4. Don't know if your setup is the same but my rear one's were a pain. The top nut had barely any room and had to use a six point 3/4" socket 3/8 drive with a breaker bar because that's the only thing that would fit. Could only turm it about 1/4 turn each time and took forever to remove. I used the new bushings, they are different then the ford one's. The fords have a cone shape lower bushing that fits through the bottom of the hole and the top one sits over top of it. I couldn't reuse them because they were pretty tore up. Also you have to cut the strap to put the top bushing on. When you do that the shock expands and it is almost impossible to compress by hand. I installed the top first then used my floor jack to compress it high enough to bolt it to the lower mount. The fronts were a breeze to install.

Old 04-18-2004 | 06:52 PM
Yeah, a floor jack is a must IMO, and I ended up using a combo of Crescent and open end wrenches to get the stockers off. No turning the nut with your fingers either, I had to use the wrench the whooole way

On the fronts, after I put the shock through the coil spring, I used my floor jack to compress the shocks and save my muscles.

At least on my stockers, they gave you another nut on the shaft to put another wrench on instead of having to use Vice grips on the shaft...I hated that on my old ride

Old 04-19-2004 | 07:33 AM
I put a set on my wifes 99 4x4 Expedition a couple weeks ago.. The fronts were a breeze... I did used the new bushings..

The driver side rear had me cussing up a storm. A real PITA to get to the upper bolt, but I eventually got it off. Just a note... those nuts on upper rear shocks don't turn... turn the bolts instead. The rear passenger side came off pretty easy. If you have an Air Compressor, it makes it much easier, cause there is limited space to turn your rachet.

I did take both rear wheels off as well as drop the spare.

Good luck!

Roland

Old 04-19-2004 | 06:56 PM
When you install your fronts, don't tighten the bottom nuts with a torque wrench to 60ft/lbs like I did. I snapped off one of the studs, and had to grind it off , drill it out, and put in a new bolt. They look like bolts,but they dont come out, even with a 2lb. hammer.

Quick Reply: Shock installation question