Popping in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004 | 10:59 AM
|
Question Popping in steering wheel

Hi guys. 1998 F150 Ex Cab/4WD/4.6/auto/145000 miles. In the last few months I have noticed that when I accelerate from a stop, or start to brake I feel a popping in my steering wheel. Also when going around a long turn at highway speeds it feels like there is some play in the steering column. I have looked at the steering shaft under the hood and noticed that there is a boot about halfway up from the gearbox. Everything feels tight on the shaft when I try to move it back and forth. Is the shaft splined under the boot? I really don't know what else could be causing the problem but it's starting to make me nervous. Anyone else have this happen with their truck? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks

Old 05-10-2004 | 07:23 AM
I'm having the same issue. I replaced the shocks (As they needed to be replaced anyway) and it did not make much of a difference. How are you making out with the search?

Old 05-15-2004 | 05:16 PM
|
Lightbulb

Hey storm. We pulled the steering column from the dash and packed the upper shaft with grease after sanding down the rust on the shaft. Works great now. The grease had broken down and dried up and the shafts were rusted. And the popping was just the shafts hanging up on eachother.

Old 05-20-2004 | 08:15 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. NOT! :-) Was it hard to do? Any special tools needed?

Old 05-28-2004 | 10:41 PM
I think I'm experiencing the same problem with my steering.

It just recently started on my 1997 xlt. When I'm in a turn, at all speeds, it feels like loose play in the steering. Sort of a back and forth, loose feeling, like the wheels aren't holding tight to the steering.

I checked under the hood, and grabbed the steering column/shaft(minimal mechanical knowledge, so I don't know the correct term). It had, I thought, a lot of play when I pulled on it forward and back. Is this supposed to happen? I just assumed it should be tight.

When I'm actually holding the steering wheel, I push on the top of the wheel and get some movement.

As far as a sound, I actually feel a pop/clunk under my feet when I come to a stop, when I go, and quite often when I'm varying acceleration in reverse. This only seems to happen in dry weather, though, and it is making me absolutely insane. I'm not sure if the two are related.

Quick Reply: Popping in steering wheel