2wd + sand = stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd + sand = stuck

Ok i go down to the outer banks(NC) a lot and your allowed to drive on the beach...but its soft sand...i was told by a few people that with wide tires and low tire pressure you shouldnt have much problem with a 2wd truck...so of course i got to thinkin....now i am trying to figure out how to do it.

I know i'll need a lift, got the 3"body lift coming
and then i dont know how big of a suspension lift to get...i wanna run at least 36"s preferable 38"s and they gotta be wide....like at least 14"s wide

am i going to need wheel spacers, redo axel aligning, longer brake hoses

or do you think a 3" body lift and just find some really wide 31/32"s will cut it ???

Old 05-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I'd suggest a limited slip rear end if you don't have one.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
A limited slip rear end and a 5 speed transmission will do much better in the sand or mud than a similar truck equipped with open differential and an automatic.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd forget the idea of tons of lift and huge tires. They will make your truck undriveable after awhile. Also add in the fact that your center of gravity will be ALOT higher and you'll run the risk of rolling, especially in high speed offroad driving. For what you're going to be doing I'd stick with the 3" body lift (only because you've already ordered it) and do a leveling kit or 2" spindles in the front. This will give you plenty of room to fit 33/12.5. If you air those down in addition to the LS you should be ok in the sand. Just learn how to drive in it. Start in 2nd gear not first. You don't want alot of wheel spin, that will make you sink. Sand is alot like snow, you need to keep your momentum up. Driving skill is gonna be the best improvement you can make. If you go with tires like 38s, and especially ANY tire thats 14" wide I hope you're ready to start replacing your front end every year or so. Tires that wide will wreak havoc on wheel bearings, brakes, steering, etc. My wheel bearings last about 2 years at a pop now with 12.5" wide tires. Also plan on regearing your rear axle after you get tires. If not hope you've got a deep pocket book. Just read my signature.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't go any wider than 12.5 inches and don't worry about the height that much. A 33 inch tire aired down to about 15 or 20 psi will do the trick. You have to make a footprint as wide a possible, but after your done you can air them back up and drive on the pavement just fine. Oh and definitely think about a limited slip rear.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:39 PM
thanks...prolly gonna go with ls rear and maybe jus some 31" paddles for the rear and smoothies for the front....strickly sand to swap when i get down there....

Quick Reply: 2wd + sand = stuck