Ball joints worn out already?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004 | 04:55 PM
|
Question Ball joints worn out already?

I went in the other day for an allignment on my 98 and the tech said the ball joints are worn out! Now I have to buy new upper control arms because they are all one piece! Anybody else have similar problems this soon?

Old 05-29-2004 | 05:02 PM
balljoints

yep, my 97 was the same way, but if your planning on doing it yourself, then the new control arms are the only way to go. besides, i dont think the ball joints will press out of uor a arms! i think mine ran @ 65$ each.

Old 05-29-2004 | 07:00 PM
The upper arms are 1 piece, but the lowers can be changed out independant of the A arm. The uppers in most cases don't need to be changed out since they're not load bearing like the lowers are. As the shop to show you exactly how they think the uppers are bad, most likely they're fine.

Old 05-29-2004 | 08:48 PM
|
Yea, he did show me. The wheel wobbles in and out when off the ground or not under load. He said he can't do the allignment without new ball joints. It's going to cost about $375 to do it.

Old 05-29-2004 | 08:52 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
If and when you get the parts replaced get the greasable ones and make sure you get a lifetime warranty. They will wear out. I have Moog uppers. The lowers are going to come out this summer and I will be using Moog again. The front tire is so heavy that to properly see a worn out ball joint you may have to remove the tire and pry the sucker with a bar. Same goes for the lower.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Ball joints worn out already?