new shocks for my 97

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 11:19 PM
|
Question new shocks for my 97

My 97 f150 is nearing 100,000 miles and the suspension is begining to fail. I'm look for 4 new shocks. My truck is has a stock suspension, besides the 4x4 off road package. I would like to someday install the 3in body lift, but i don't have alot of confidence about it. I don't do alot of offroading, but i do work in construction and its taking to the jobsite everyday. I really like the ride it use to have, any suggestions on what shock to get? Trying to keep the cost down to $50.00 each.
Also, I was hoping someone might suggest a good add a leaf kit. I do alot of short distance heavy hauling. I need something too reduce the rearend squating.

Old 06-30-2004 | 12:16 AM
you can get an add-a-leaf kit from summit, i think for around 49.99. as for shocks, people love the rs9000's, but.. they are more than 50 a piece. I've got rs5000's and they cost me around 45 a piece. some like the monroe reflex, i had them also, and thought they were nearly the same as what i've got now in the rs5000. pretty much any name brand shock you get, bilstein, monroe, rancho, pro comp, if you get the ones in the 50 dollar range, you should be happy.

Old 07-01-2004 | 11:36 PM
|
thx

Thanks for the help. I have another question though. I bought the rs5000 for the front end, but they dont' really have any pressure behind them. Most front shocks i have installed came plastic wire tired. When you cut the wired tie, they extend out on there own, or you give them 1 or 2 turns and they pop out. These rs5000's don't do that. Did JcWhittney send me the wrong ones? Or R these junk?

Old 07-02-2004 | 03:46 PM
They're fine. The shock is designed to operate like that.

Old 07-02-2004 | 04:05 PM
I had Rancho RSX shocks on my 97, bought them from www.4wheelparts.com when they had a buy 3 get the fourth free deal...ended up being around $50 a piece. It also had the 3" PA body lift and I loved it...looked awesome, hated to see it go

Im in the air wether I want a 4" Explorer Procomp lift with the procomp resivoir shocks or go the 3" PA lift with Rancho RS9000's...gonna depend on how much money I can quickly save vs. how badly I want to look better than a stock height truck

Old 07-02-2004 | 05:27 PM
|
thanks guys

Thanks for the info, i feel much better about installing them now.

Old 07-02-2004 | 06:41 PM
On the add a leafs, they will lift the rear end some and if that's one of your goals, then that would be the easiest and cheapest way to go..

I've got the Hellwig overload springs

They really help with the rear end sag, but did not add any lift to the rear end. They are also more of a "progressive" load spring, so when empty, it's not as stiff..... Anyway, these ran me about $150.00 and about 30-45 minutes to install. I've loaded #1000 in the bed and it only drops about 2" now!! gotta love that!

Mitch

Old 07-04-2004 | 01:17 AM
|
thanks guys. This weekend my co-worker\friend and I installed a 3" body lift from performance Parts.com All went pretty well considering the body mounts were really rusted on my 97. Had to remove the entire bed to drill out old mounts. Thats ok, I ended up installing new rear shocks. It's alot eaisier with the bed completly off. I went with the pro comp shocks in the rear, and bought some for the front, but didn't install them yet. Haven't drivin it much except from my buddies house to my home. The 3" lift really makes the truck look tough, and the new rear shocks make it ride like a new truck again. As for the add a leafs, I haven't done anything with those yet. Got save for the new 33" tires my ride will be sport'n. Thanks all for the help. I'll post some pictures of the finished product soon.

Quick Reply: new shocks for my 97