04 supercrew 4X4 bed shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004 | 01:12 PM
|
04 supercrew 4X4 bed shake

Does anyone know why the beds shake on the 04 f-150 4X4 supercrews while hitting bumps? What can be done to stop this?

Old 11-05-2004 | 03:16 AM
Re: 04 supercrew 4X4 bed shake

Originally posted by browndd1
Does anyone know why the beds shake on the 04 f-150 4X4 supercrews while hitting bumps? What can be done to stop this?
Never heard any mention it doing this when hitting bumps, but now that you mention it, mine does too. I noticed it tonight when I was going over some big speed bumps. I have an 04 FX4 Screw.

Many have had problems with a "vibe" at 50-60mph though, try searching or go to the 04-05 F150 part of the forum. LOTS of info there!

Old 11-07-2004 | 12:06 PM
Funny. I noticed the same thing on my 04 fx4 screw. I looked in the rear view as I was going over some minor bumps on the road and it was shaking noticeably--alot more than my 2003.

It was enough that I checked out the torx bolts in the bed and they were tight. I think it might just be a symptom of the increased box height. I bet a rigid tonneau would quiet things down.

-Jeff

Old 02-03-2005 | 09:59 PM
Caution on the hard bed covers like the snugtop from Lund. I have this one on my 2004 S-crew and it broke my rear power slider ($940, ouch)

I was in an empty lot and coming over the curb. The lot is flat and the curb is of typical height. I came over the curb at an angle so each wheel went over it at different times. When the last one came over a loud pop and the right of the three pieces of glass was shattered.

Inspection outside reveled two distinct marks on the window trim from the hinges and it was crystal clear where the break started.

I took it to the shop that installed the lid and the first guy that looked at it agreed that it was the top. His manager who was on the phone when I came in mentioned that he had seen it once before and that Lund disputed the top contributing to the break that time so he felt they would again. He told guy one to wheel it into the shop and have the installer move the hinges back a bit. The installer must not have seen me standing behind him because as he was being told the story he said “he’s full of ****”. My tap on his shoulder sure seemed to surprise him, not giving him a chance to recover I launched into him. I absolutely did and that you would have to be unbelievably stupid not to see it. I told him that my insurance was paying for the window and I was not assigning blame to the shop or him (the one who actually installed the top) but that I wanted them to see the damage and to inform then that should it happen again that I fully expect them to go to bat for me with Lund to get my window replaced. The lid does not slide forward at all, its that the design and install puts the hinges about a quarter inch from the glass trim. The bed does flex a bit and there is just no room for it to do that. It’s clearly a poor design that I suspect they will fix at some point.

The installer and I noticed that the bed was perhaps a half inch off center to the left so I took it to the dealership to have it centered. I asked the service writer to also insure that the bed was moved back ½ to ¾ inches. They centered the bed but rather than move it back, they moving it forward a little. To make matters worse it looks like they used a Torx head that was too small so some of the heads are rounded out a little.
He told guy one to wheel it into the shop and have the installer move the hinges back a bit. The installer must not have seen me standing behind him because as he was being told the story he said “he’s full of ****”. My tap on his shoulder sure seemed to surprise him, not giving him a chance to recover I launched into him. I absolutely did and that you would have to be unbelievably stupid not to see it. I told him that my insurance was paying for the window and I was not assigning blame to the shop or him (the one who actually installed the top) but that I wanted them to see the damage and to inform then that should it happen again that I fully expect them to go to bat for me with Lund to get my window replaced. The lid does not slide forward at all, its that the design and install puts the hinges about a quarter inch from the glass trim. The bed does flex a bit and there is just no room for it to do that. It’s clearly a poor design that I suspect they will fix at some point.

The installer and I noticed that the bed was perhaps a half inch off center to the left so I took it to the dealership to have it centered. I asked the service writer to also insure that the bed was moved back ½ to ¾ inches. They centered the bed but rather than move it back, they moving it forward a little. To make matters worse it looks like they used a Torx head that was too small so some of the heads are rounded out a little.

I was going to just do this myself so I tried to find a socket to find these bolts. Lisle Tools has a T55 socket that says it is for Ford bed bolts but it must be for pre 2004 beds because its too big. T50 is slightly too small (what I imagine the dealer used) so I guess it’s a T53 which I could not find at Sears.

Word to the wise…

Old 02-03-2005 | 10:33 PM
mine does it too.

Old 02-07-2005 | 05:33 PM
BED SHAKE

My truck bed shakes as well. It does it at all speeds to some degree. I was thinking of putting some weight (sand bags or something) in the bed to stop it--havent yet. If anyone has--did it help?

I was also looking in to getting some Rancho RS 9000's because I dont like the stock ride. I intend to lift it someday but not right now. Rancho said they are not available yet for 2004 FX4 stock height. Has anyone purchased these yet? What part #'s? Could they be that different than 03 models? I guess so.

Stu

Old 02-08-2005 | 09:26 AM
bed shake.

My 04 supercrew does it too.I like most things about this truck ,its a big ,safe feeling ride but a few problems need addressed.When my bed shakes it rattles the whole truck,I also still have a shimmy at 50 .

Old 02-16-2005 | 12:35 AM
I have an 05 with the rattle also. I beleive that it is becouse of the shocks. On regular roads the valving on the shocks is very stiff. I will replace the shocks with some aftermarket units.

Quick Reply: 04 supercrew 4X4 bed shake