Upper ball joint on 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005 | 12:44 AM
|
Upper ball joint on 4X4

OK, so I found a bad upper ball joint...I have read that the whole control arm is replaced, correct?? Also, is it recommende to replace them in pairs or does it really matter, since the upper is not really a load bearing joint? About how much are the parts say a Ford item vs. a Moog from Napa? Thanks.

Oh yea, FYI...37k miles...

Correct me if you think it's possible but warranty wouldn't cover this hu? They would tell me I have a lift kit so kick rocks right?

Old 01-06-2005 | 09:44 AM
Yeah, teh entire arm gets replaced. Go witht eh moog unit, its greasable so it requires some maintenance, but it'll also last a lot longer. After you replace the arm once with teh moog, if you have to replace the ball joint again, you can get just the moog ball joint, but the moog ball joint doesn't fit in the ford control arm, if that makes any sense. I believe the Moog is cheaper then the Ford unit too.
You don't have to do it in pairs, but I always go with the theory its easier to do it while you are familiar with teh procedure then wait and have to reinvent the wheel.

Quick Reply: Upper ball joint on 4X4