DIY Lift...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005 | 05:56 PM
DMA
|
DIY Lift...

I'm looking to lift my screw, but would like to do it myself and save a buck or two. I would like to lift it so it's both level and at least a good 6" higher than it is now, being stock, but also would like the "safety" factor to remain as far as roll-overs and the like are concerned. I will also be getting some new, much larger shoes, to go along with the mod.

I'm mechanically inclined, but have never installed a lift kit before.

Is this mod something I can handle realistically, or should I just bite the bullet and let the pros handle it?

Also, any recommendations on brand, etc.?

Thanx.

Oh yes, just in case it helps...

2002 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4, 5.4L V-8, Stock Shoes, Rims & Susp.

Thanx again.

Last edited by DMA; 02-08-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2005 | 06:25 PM
My buddy and I will be installing the 6" Fabtech on the my truck this weekend. I have no experience, but I can read. He has all the technical knowledge about vehicles; so I believe we will be alright. I will be posting pictures that night......hopefully.

Last edited by noirluispher; 02-13-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2005 | 06:37 PM
Granted, my truck is a SD, but my brother in law and I installed a 6.5" lift in about a day and a half, all spring and a set of traction bars. I only had to rent a pitman arm puller and a tie rod seperator. Now, noone will be able to tell you all the things that you are going to run into;broken bolts, brackets, missing that step where it says to install tab B before tab A: but if you are mechanically inclined, and have a good selection of tools, metrics especially, impacts and air ratchets are nice but not necessary. Some tall jackstands, four is nice that way you can have the entire truck in the air and can crawl around under it as you please, or build some shoring to bring them up higher, a good floor jack or two, a couple of friends, a case of beer, or a friend and a couple cases of beer, and a weekend you can do the job yourself. This will save you about $1200 to $1500, and you will learn a lot more about your truck in the process. The satisfaction of doing the job yourself is well worth the time spent. Just read through the installation instructions a few times before starting and get a good gameplan. As far a which lift to choose, that is up to you. Check out 4wheelparts.com, they have about the largest selection of brands available from leveling kits to 10" kits for F150's. You have to decide on what you need. I personally would stay away from blocks and add-a-leaves. The blocks will give you a little more spring wrap and add-a-leaves though giving lift will sag over time if you still use your truck to haul loads. With the front, stay away from ball joint spacers, they put a lot more stress on the factory spindle than it was designed for.

Hope this helps

STECK

Old 02-13-2005 | 09:26 AM
After....

Old 02-13-2005 | 10:07 AM
Looks great!

Quick Reply: DIY Lift...