body lift vs. daystar lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift vs. daystar lift

ok - i have 2wd f150 with a 3" trailmaster lift. I wanted to go just another three inches higher with a PA body lift, then discovered a problem if i took that route - my exhaust setup would have to be completely re -done. (i think, i have flowmaster with duals out back) plus i have a grill guard so i would need new brackets for that to stay on. all seems like more trouble and money

so, i've discovered the daystar coil spacers but it seems like they are all for leveling the 2004's and 05's, can i order some for my 97, and would they just fit on top of the lift suspension i have installed already? also, if it raises the front, im assuming i would need a new block in the rear, right?

i'm basically stuck in deciding what to do to get a little higher, and nto spend tons of money to have stuff done, any help or suggestions would be very appreciated!!!

another idea of mine - just get bigger tires like 285/75/16? would that give me any lift as well as just look better?

thanks again and sorry its so long - John

Old 02-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What type of lift do you have? Is it lift spindles? If it is, you can add 2 inch Daystar spacers up front and a lift block in the rear.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:39 PM
thanks for the reply wandell, your always helpful!

no i dont have a spindle lift though, just springs, shocks and a new upper control arm. guess the daystars are out!

thank you very much for your help - guess its time to start lookin for wheel and tire combo's!

John

Old 02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In the rear, I'd suggest an add-a-leaf. They're only about $50 - $75 and will give you around 2". For this amount of additional lift, it's a better option than blocks. Easy install, too. Don't know enough about the front end to help you there. On my Ranger, I used a pack of washers for coil spacers up front. Worked like a charm for an additional 1".

I'll only say that modifying the suspension is the way to go, in my opinion. I think body lifts look pretty dumb -- lots of exposed frame rails under the rocker panels and often a big gap in the rear wheel wells. Plus, you have to relocate your front and rear bumpers and I've seen lots of bad jobs that leave the bumpers crooked and such. You just leave too many parts behind when you raise the body.

You can do a body lift and have it look OK. To me, though, they never look quite right.

Still, body lifts have their place. If you need >6" of lift for tire clearance, then you're stuck with suspension lift + body lift. But, if you're under 6", then I'd avoid a body lift like the plague.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 PM
lol thanks for the response 67l48

i'm def. not going with the body lift, especially because of what you stated, just overall problems with lifting the body, and all the other adjustments that need to be made. i have been wanting new leaf springs that would replace my old rusty one now, plus give the lift amount that the block is right now. just havent measured how much that is, and i realy dont know where to order leaf springs. i've seen some that seemed really expensive, so i stopped searching a long time ago.

i'll try again - thanks for your imput!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
You should also consider the laws in your state/locale since body lifts are not universally allowed. Our municipality has outlawed them since many "good ol' boys" were doing the hockey puck lifts and there have been a number of fatalities from simple accidents due to the unstable lift you get...I have never been a fan of the body lift for multiple reasons: increase sheer force on the bolts holding your truck body to the frame; gaps; relocating steering, bumpers, exhaust, etc.

Anyway....you should go to the DayStar site since I'm 90% sure there is a lift for pre-2004 F150's as well...

Quick Reply: body lift vs. daystar lift