Lifting truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005 | 03:35 AM
|
Lifting truck?

I am pretty much new to truck suspension mods and im wondering on whats the big differences between a lift kit and a body lift kit?

I want to raise my truck 3"+, but dont want to spend a lot of money. I see some nice Fabtech lift kits for 1400$, but the labor and money is way to much for me. So should I just go with a 3" body lift? I see some nice trucks around here with them on, and they look nice. How do body lifts work, and are they easy to install.

I will barely be doing any off roading, mostly highway use. I have 00 flareside f150.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2005 | 10:44 AM
Body lifts lift the body off the frame 3 inches by using spacers. They are a great way to get a small lift. Body lifts got a bad reputation because of idiots who tried to make them out of hockey pucks, wood, metal pipe, etc. There is nothing wrong with a properly designed body lift. I'm on my third truck with a body lift and have never had a problem. The Performance Accessories kit contains everything you need to complete the lift including front and rear bumper relocation brackets, steering extension, etc. The only thing extra you need to buy is a set of Performance Accessories Gap Guards which cover the gap left in the wheelwells that the body lift creates. A body lift is not hard to install, but it is time consuming and tedious. There are just a lot of small steps involved. Mine took me all weekend to install. That is why shops charge so much to install them. Not because it is hard but because it takes a long time.

Old 03-05-2005 | 12:01 PM
|
Is it a lot easier to install then a 4" suspension lift?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33585

They are pretty cheap, whats the biggest size tires I can put on my truck with that 3" on?

Thanks

Last edited by kmk17mx; 03-05-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2005 | 03:41 PM
It's probably a little easier to install than a 4 inch suspension lift. Hard for me to say because I've never installed a suspension lift. If you have a 4x2, you can fit a 33x12.50 on a 10 inch wide wheel (4 1/2 inches of backspacing) with a 3 inch body lift. If you have a 4x4, you can fit a 35x12.50 on a 10 inch wide wheel (4 1/2 inches of backspacing) with a 3 inch body lift.

Quick Reply: Lifting truck?