Replacing Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Front Shocks

Hey All,

I've never replaced front shocks on my truck before and was wondering if it's an involved process. It's a 2001 F150 2WD.

Thanks,
FStrike

Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a piece of cake. I just replaced all four shocks on my 02 a couple months ago and the fronts were easier than the rears. Jack up the truck by the frame so that the hub is hanging at full extension, remove the wheel and it's right there. Pull the brake line holder off the top of the shock and remove the top nut, then remove the two nuts and bolts on the bottom and it drops out of the spring. Shove the new one in and bolt it up.

The only hassle on the rears was the top nut was difficult to access since the bed is somewhat in the way. Lots of little turns with a wrench since I couldn't get a socket on it.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Rocky,

I'll attempt to replace them this weekend. 160,000km on the stock ones and they just going bad now.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I hate to break it to you, but they have been bad for a looooong time. Stock shocks suck even when new. My truck had 37K miles when I bought it in October, as soon as I changed the shocks it was like a completely different truck. Much better ride with good shocks.

It's an easy job and I'm sure you will be pleased. What kind of shocks are you getting?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM
It's just now that I'm starting to notice a real difference in the shocks... but you're probably right :-)

I was thinking about Monroe Reflex. I've read the Bilstein's are the best but they're pricey. Would you recommend something else?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I didn't want to influence your choice, but I also chose the Reflex. I really liked them on my last truck (a small Ranger) and bought them again for my Lariat. They have a softer ride than most truck shocks but still handle well on cornering. They are great for getting rid of the 'floor jack' ride common with most off-road shocks. AND they have a lifetime warranty.

If you want a stiffer ride, there are other popular choices (Bilstein, Rancho, Monroe Magnum). But I bought a luxury truck and am enjoying the smooth ride without rattling my fillings.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I (seem to) recall how nice the ride was when I bought my truck. I do 120km's highway every day so ride is important. Didn't realize they had a lifetime warranty - that always helps!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I just put ranchos all the way around on my 99 4x4 very pleased with the ride I agree with rocky the fronts are a piece of cake but the top bolts on the rear are a little difficult especially if rusted up iI gave up on the aggravation and cut mine off with a cutting wheel think it took me an hour to do all 4 good luck

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks,

I went to the local Canadian Tire since they sell the Reflex there. It amazes me that my local Ford dealer will sell me the exact same shock for $14 more.

All is good, my shocks should be in tomorrow, just in time to change them over the weekend.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I did my shocks yesterday. Everything went pretty well except the rears were a pain in the ***. The reflex shocks made a huge difference in ride control. I must say I'm very pleased with them. Thanks all.

Last edited by FStrike; 03-13-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Shocks