It's finally over!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005 | 02:20 AM
|
Talking It's finally over!

After 6-8 months, a full suspension rebuild, and countless tire balance jobs, it's finally over. I was fighting a steering wheel wobble at 50-70 that was sometimes there, and other times not. I broke down and got new rotor/hubs, and pads, since at least one was under spec. Upon removing the dust caps and cotter pins, the spindle nuts were loose. It was not enough to be noticable by rocking the tire back and forth, but it was pretty loose. Once everything was buttoned up, I took it for a test ride around the neighborhood. I couldn't really tell how much it had improved, although I could feel something was different. We don't have the best roads.... I drove it later this evening on an 11 mile round trip on the highway, and it was incredible Not one hint of wander, wobble, bad wheel balance, jittery bad shock feeling, or anything else. All of them were GONE. The truck literally rides and drives like a new one, or at least as good as when I bought it. Thanks to anyone and everyone who helped out over the last year. It's finally over! I'm going to celebrate with a full driveway detail tomorrow morning..,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 03-12-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2005 | 10:42 AM
|
Thumbs up

I guess no one likes a happy ending? Oh well, the truck is still fixed, hehe. ,,,,98

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:59 AM
I know that, I appreciate it when a member makes follow up comments on their issues. It helps everyone. Recently, I posted a conclusion to my "Steering Obsession Continues" thread. After three years of replacing everything, I finally figured out that my rear leaf springs were affecting my steering.

What do you think was the MAIN reason for your steering wheel wobble? your loose spindle nut or warped rotors?

I had always heard that, if your steering vibrates/wobbles upon braking, there was a good chance that it was warped rotors/pads. However, your steering wobble occurred at highway speeds.

Old 03-13-2005 | 12:12 PM
|
Thumbs up

Well, there seemed to be nothing wrong with the rotors I took off, aside from being told they were undersized. No braking wobble or pulsating pedal. At the end I think it came down to the wheel bearings being too loose. I'm sure each part I replaced was somewhat worn and needed replacing, but to have a lot of the issues still present after it was done, was frustrating to say the least. I had several shops tell me my tires were junk/POS/ pick your term. Once I did the wheel bearing repack and install myself, the problem was resolved immediately. You have to force the truck off of center over 60 now, I'm loving it.,,,,98

Old 03-13-2005 | 12:20 PM
Did you replace the bearings AND races? I did not replace the races due to the need to press out the stock originals. I only replaced the bearings.

Old 03-13-2005 | 12:50 PM
|
I just replaced the races, since they came on the rotors. I know it isn't recommended, but the bearings had no signs of abnormal wear, or looseness. I have replaced races on a few vehicles before, a punch and a hammer is all you need really. Just make sure they seat well. My outer bearings were a bit dry, so eventually I may replace all four. I reused the inner bearing seal also. It came out easily enough without deforming. I'll do those with the new bearings when I go back in. The weird thing is when I got the lower balljoints and bearings done last year, the trouble started within a week. I went back to that shop to get it looked at, and they told me the lower balljoints had no grease in them. Pretty much their fault in my book, but I preferred to do everything myself after that. I never really suspected the bearings since the balljoints went 2 1/2-3 months without lube.,,,,98

Old 03-16-2005 | 05:36 AM

Glad to hear you got that out of the way. J/C, what's the damage on replacing the hubs?

Old 03-16-2005 | 12:02 PM
|
$83 a piece from O'Reilly auto parts. Wagner made in USA. $55 for the Wagner pads. Stops great, and no dust to speak of yet. The Ford pads had the wheels black inside of a week. The rotors aren't grooving yet either, another thing the Ford rotors did almost immediately after the last brake job.,,,,98

Old 03-16-2005 | 12:43 PM
glad you fixed it

Old 03-16-2005 | 12:50 PM
|
Me too, feels like new again. It tracks straight and smooth, and bumps feel less severe. I should have done it long ago. It shows how much "some" mechanics really try, though? I had it in to several shops and they never checked or even suggested what the real problem could be. They seemed more concerned with telling me my tires were crap, and that the last person to balance them was an idiot.,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 03-16-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: It's finally over!