Shock Install - Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005 | 09:47 AM
|
Shock Install - Dumb Question

OK, picked up some Monroe Reflex shocks for an '01 SuperCrew 4x2. Swapped the fronts last night in a little under an hour...but have one concern.

With the frame jacked up, and the wheel hanging...I can tighten the top nut "forever", it seems. I flattened the rubber bushing considerably...

Was I just supposed to snug-plus-180 tighten these thiings? Or am I OK overtightening?

With overtightening, I'm concerned about the threads or anything...more so the life of busihing and ride quality?

Thanks.

Rears this afternoon!!

Jeff

Old 03-19-2005 | 10:33 AM
I was told you only want to tighten the top nuts until that rubber bushing flatens out just a little and it is about as wide as (or maybe a little wider) the metal cup thing.

It sounds like you need to loosen it up a bit.

Old 03-19-2005 | 01:09 PM
|
Thanks...Found the same recommendations

Did some more searching after posting my question, and found the same thing.

I'll back off the top nut a little.

With regular sockets and deep welss, as well as open-end wrenches I was unable to even budge the left-rear shock's top nut!

I give...and will son be travelling to my local Belle Tire. These guys are great...Unfortunately the wanted $55/shock...+ $15/shock installation. Ouch.

Bought 4 Monroe Reflex for $39.99/ea at local Murray's. The fronts and right-rear took a combined 2 hours to change. I dinked around with the left-rear for an additional two hours...

Now its worth the extra $$ to have them install it! Hopefully they'll install the shock I already own...

Quick Reply: Shock Install - Dumb Question