torsion bar help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torsion bar help

ok this is for the people that have taken theres loose. I have a truck that i am rebuilding from a wreck 01 f150 4.6 the frame shop didnt put any pressure on the torsion bars just kind of put them in and let it go. My question is the rear arm that is attached to the bar were does it hang before putting pressure on it. ill try and explain a little the end that the adjustment bolt goes it. is it in the cross member or about an 1 out of the cross member. someone please help

john

Old 04-05-2005, 12:31 AM
There is a notch in the cross member that the piece that that bolt threads through sit's in. The shop manual says you need a special tool to remove or install that piece there.

I'll crawl under my truck tomorrow in the day light and get a picture for you.

Doug

Last edited by DDan1967; 04-05-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Here's the picture I promised

If you like I can email you the pages from the shop manual on the procedure. But like I said you need a special tool.

Last edited by DDan1967; 04-06-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
dan

dan, how do you guys post pictures?

Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Re: dan

Originally posted by pstmn1
dan, how do you guys post pictures?
Enter the "Photo Galleries" there is a link at the top of the page.

Create your own Gallery and then add what ever pictures you want to it.

Then to add a picture to your signature or a post, open your gallery and bring up the photo you want to use. In the lower right corner of the page with your image it says "Forum Codes"

Click on that and a small window will pop up with the format to use to insert a full size image or a thumb nail.

Just Copy the info as shown and past it into the message or signiture that you are working on.

The when your message is posted the image will be shown.

I hope this helps,

Doug

Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground you can then loosen the adjuster bolt and it should slip out. Don't forget to mark the nut for a reference point when you reassemble.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
thanks dan got it to work .

Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by JMC
If you jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground you can then loosen the adjuster bolt and it should slip out. Don't forget to mark the nut for a reference point when you reassemble.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
I'm not positive if there where changes in the set up between 97 and 2000. I kind of doubt there were.

If not and your setup looks like what the picture shows. Then what JMC stated won't work. Sorry JMC I don't mean to ruffle any feathers

I was looking at the shop manual last night, for something else, and leafed though the Torque Bar procedures.

This won't help you much since yours is already apart. But you should Jack up the vehicle. Then make an alighning mark on the Cross Member and the Torsion Bar before loosening the Adjuster Bolt. (Wish I'd read that before) Then loosen and remove the Adjuster Bolt. The Adjuster will then rest on the theaded cross bar. (The torsion bar still has tension on it at this point) Then you use what looks something like a 2 armed puller and 2 adaptors to lift the Adjuster off the Cross Bar and remove it. Then you back off the Tool to relieve the tension off the torsion bar.
The install procedure is simply reverced.

If you could get or fabricate the adaptors I think you could use a normal puller, you might have to use a longer screw than it came with though.

Doug

Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 AM
JMC

DDan1967,

You are correct. I did not explain correctly. It should read "loosen and remove the adjuster bolt and it should slip out."

I don't use the tool at all. I mark the bolt, then remove it and the part comes out. I might have to push it a little bit but it always comes out. The secret it to release the tension by having the wheels off the ground. The weight of the wheels twists the bar in the opposite direction leaving room to slip the part out.

JMC

Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Sounds like your lucky with the Torsion Bars on your truck.

In my experience, from doing Ball Joints on Brother-in-Law's and my Trucks there is still to much tension on the Bar to be able to get that out. Then I've really never tried because I was able to do what I needed with it at that point.

So I could be wrong myself.

Doug

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
JMC

I got that trick from a friend in Michigan, so I know of 2 trucks that it works on. It might not work on all the T-bars as some are stiffer than others and it would mean that they are indexed tighter leaving no room to pull the part out even with the bolt removed. I plan on swapping to the 7700# t-bars and when I do I will post if the trick still works.

JMC

Quick Reply: torsion bar help