Questions for bigtruck311 or anyone else.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
having access to a 4 point lift also helps out alot, having a budy help you will make it alot easer and taking off the torsion bars you will need the removal tool or a clamp that will alow you to unload the presure on the torsion bars safely, good luck

Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the 4 point lift is out of the question. I will have at least 2 other people helping me at my job. I'm going to pull it inside our air conditioned shop and have access to almost any tool I need.
I guess all I have to get is torsion bar wrench.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
if you have a good selection of clamps/pullers you should be able to use one to get the torsion bars unloaded, it is not a wrench it is kinda like a puller, i used a large gear puller with a flat tip to get mine unloaded, good luck

Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Exclamation

AIR CONDITIONED SHOP???!!!!

Now we are talking. I purchased a 10'x10' tent to protect myself from the sun while working in the front of my parents house garage. I sweat like 25 gallons of body fluids in the process. But it was fun and I can laugh now.

I know it will be fun for you as well. Safety first.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Well I run a machine shop at an injection molding plant. The plant is closed on the weekend so I figured I would do it in the machine shop. I have a couple of guys that work for me that would like to help. One of the guys who is my cnc setup operator has a jeep that he wants to lift so he wants to help me so I will help him. The other guy who is my mold cleaner/setup/repair has a mechanical background so it should go smooth. The one good thing about doing at my shop is their won't be any beer until we are done if we get done. I hope we can knock it out in one day.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Unless someone brings (secretly) a cooler with a few of those hidden in the trunk or else.

That shop and the crew sounds great. You will be fine.

Let us know on the outcome.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 PM
I was reading the installation instructions on the Fabtech kit and it says to get an alignment and record it before the install. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site and do not remember anybody discussing this. The only thing I've seen is alignment after install. What do you guys think. THANKS

Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
get an alianment after, dont worry about the one before install that would just be a wast of money in my opinion

Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
After installation and everything is OK.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:24 PM
I got my lift kit and tires today. I love the look of the wheels and tires. I hope they hold up as good as they look. I hope to get kit installed this weekend but I may have to wait until next weekend. I will post some pictures as soon as I start. I guess I will have to start a picture gallery soon.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ILUCE - I just installed the same lift on my truck about 2 months ago. Let me know if you need some more info.

About the alignment, I wish I'd asked that question before I did that "recommended" alignment. What a waste of $50.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Ya, I remember reading your thread and printing out your before and after pictures. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I'm ready to tackle it. Do you think I can knock it out in 1 day if I don't run into any problems. I am going to have a couple buddy's help me.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, you can. But depending on the tools you have, that will determine how long that day will actually be. Remember that FORD, for some reason, uses metric and SAE on their bolts, which is a real pain. Just make sure you start early enough so that if you have to purchase replacement items, the shop will be open. If you start at 8 o'clock, by 1 o'clock you will know if you have to purchase any replacement parts. Good luck. I can't wait to see pictures.

Last edited by noirluispher; 05-10-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I was thinking about doing an add a leaf at the same time I do my lift. Two questions I have is will the same shocks that come with the lift kit still work (even though they are junk and I will replace them as soon as I can) and where can I get them. I've looked around and can't find them for my truck. I won't be able to put the lift on this weekend so the plan is to do it next weekend.
MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't work with the Add-a-leaf kit. The part numbers for the Bilstein shocks are in my Signature. Those numbers were given to me by Shane from Bilstein HQ.

Quick Reply: Questions for bigtruck311 or anyone else.