Rancho 9000X: Disappointed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho 9000X: Disappointed!

After reading all the great reviews of these shocks, and wanting a "premium" shock for my 2001 F150 4x2 to improve the ride, I purchased a set of four Rancho 9000X shocks.

First off, just looking them over, they didn't give me an impression of high quality. They gave me an impression of wham-bam mass production, stack-'em high and let 'em fly...not "premium" like I paid for. The welds holding the ends of the shocks have porosity, I noticed one apparently had a crack in the weld due to the porosity. Will it hold? Probably. But I expect better. The stickers that come with are very cheesy. There are no instructions whatsoever, nor is there any info on the box on where to call if problems.

I decided to install the rears only first, since it seemed like my main problem was in the rear due to the fact that the truck is usually empty and the shocks are designed to control heavier loads. The installation went ok. The boots didn't go on the shock body very easily, so I used a bit of WD-40, which allowed the boot to go on but caused the top to want to continually slip off when the shock was stroked through its travel.

Next came the test drive at full soft position. A bit better on the pot holes, but more body roll and basically made it feel like it had worn out shocks. Next I tried a stiffer setting, it felt like the stockers give or take. So I have gained adjustability, but seas didn't part, angels didn't sing. Maybe I just got my hopes up after reading so many great reviews, or maybe i'll be more impressed after replacing the fronts.

So tonight I tore into the front end. I do not recommend installing these shocks on a truck like mine if there are young children nearby or anyone offended by loud profanity. The old shock came out without too much trouble, although the fact that there is little room on top for a ratchet is annoying. Not Rancho's fault there. Next, I fit the boot onto the shock. Big problem here! If I put the boot on only 1/2" like the rears, it pops out of place on top as the shock is compressed. So, if you simply pull it down further on the shock, the breathe holes are covered up, then the air pressure pops the top off. I reluctantly slid it down quite a ways, then cut new breathe holes as needed. Is it too much to ask for Rancho to make different boots that work properly on the front shocks? I'm guessing they are compromising the design so they can use the same boots on many different shocks, all to save a dollar.

Here's where I really needed a swear jar! The hole in the lower a-arm is barely larger than the shock body, so the shock with the boot installed as such won't go up in there! The only way I could get it to work at all, is to stretch the boot way down to the bottom of the shock, lube the outside up with WD, then very tediously feed it up though a bit at a time. After that was done, I managed to get the zip tie up in there and finish the job.

How much should I compress the bushings? Which way do they go? NO INSTRUCTIONS! I suspect the boot isn't as much of a problem on the 4x4, maybe this is why I haven't read of any problems such as this? Someone mentioned "it's no harder than changing your oil". I'm here to tell you that I would wager a sixer of your favorite beverage that I could change the oil on at least two if not three trucks while that guy struggled with these shocks.

At this point, I was frustrated, and since I had to cut off the zip tie for the boot and didn't have a replacement, I opted to leave the other side stock for now.

Just a little background, I consider myself very mechanically inclined, have re-built engines from one end to the other and have an engineering/metallurgy background. So this should have been a relatively simple job for me.

Trying to put at least a bit of a positive spin on this, here's my "constructive criticism" to Rancho:

1. Do a better job on welds, even if it's just cosmetic
2. If the stickers have to be that crappy, leave them out. It's insulting to the consumer!
3. Include instructions, and remember that there are no dumb questions.
4. Included in these instructions should be tips on adjustment for different conditions, how to find optimum settings etc.
5. Include a phone number for a 24 hour help line.
6. Why do the shocks have to have those stupid accordian style boots? What's wrong with the stock "collars"? At least they fit through the hole in the lower A-arm!
7. Make the hardware the same size as that on the old shocks. This might cost a bit more with different models, etc. but in my opinion would be worth it!
8. If you can't do any of the above, at least send me a few beers along with the shocks to calm my nerves next time!

My Mustang Cobra had Bilsteens with no adjustments and no stupid bright red boots. And i'm here to tell you they worked great under all conditions. Why didn't I just get another set for my truck? I have no idea...

Old 04-22-2005, 07:02 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that you have the fronts installed too, how does it feel? Have you heard angels sing yet?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Only one front is installed, and i'm off to work (haven't tried it yet). Maybe the imbalance will cause me to roll it--i'll let you know.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh Man;

Hi. Sorry to hear about your issues.

I did the same install (on a 4x4) and came across much the same.
Patience is a virtue. Oh, and the heavy bag in the corner helps too ;-))

However, the ride quality for me did improve tremendously over the worn out stockers. Perhaps a 4x4's suspension calibration responds better to this mod?

The bonus for me was the free RCX in-cab remote control. Damping changes front/rear are a button push away.

Lots of happy RS9000x folks here. Also, you'll find some setting tips, which are mind you very subjective, and vary widely according to vehicle/usage. Mine are at #5 front, #3 rear, unloaded. Again, different truck.

One caveat, you are gonna have to uninstall those three units you put in to apply the special grease ( not included - add this to your 'bitch list') to all the urethane bushings these models come with ( red). Otherwise it will be SQUEAK CITY. You'll sound like a cheap mattress over at the local no-tell motel going down the road. Trust me on this. Max can back me up on this one.

Hey, how come with your background you didn't already know this ? ;-))

Good luck.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Good point MGDfan and Hi again.

Motometal- I enjoyed reading your evaluation and agree with most of your points. I would prefer painted Rancho logos. I used and recommend larger plastic boot ties. The washer and bushing design is indicative of placement to experienced mechanics. Snugging the bushings and general installation is as well. I disagree in the evaluation of quality. Their overall reputation throughout the industry is stellar. The rudimentary design of the F-150 suspension geometry and it's towing capacity is primarily to blame for ride quality. They're definitely overbuilt for typical uses, as you can see here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...ancho9000.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...edelbrock.html

I had the factory upgraded gas shocks in the Class III towing package on my 2000 truck, with only a few thousand miles on them, when I switched to the Rancho RS9000s. The improvement was easily noticeable. Currently, I have Bilsteins on both of my Lightnings. The Bilsteins are nice and firm, but I can't find them better in any way to the Rancho RS9000s. They're like a less versatile, dwarf RS9000, stuck on one setting.

Last edited by max mitchell; 04-22-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I really don't have too much of a right to be disappointed with the ride since they aren't all four in there and set up yet. My comments on quality were based on the overall package and ease of installation plus the quality of the welds which hold them together.

So far I don't hear any squeaks, but i'll get some of that grease and put it on # 4 and go from there.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi again to you too Max ;-)).

Credit where it is due: it was you who enlightened me w.r.t the bushing lube. Many thanks.

Motometal; I forgot to add I also appreciated your detailed post and experiences. Nice work. As for the squeaks, it may not be evident yet, but rest assured it will eventually manifest itself into a very annoying condition. Best to attack those fasteners while they are still fresh.

Cheers

Old 04-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Update.

Installation of the last shock went better. Since I obviously don't need about half of the boot, I cut it off and put the zip tie on the first "valley" of the boot ont he bottom. That made it a lot easier to weasel up into place. A breather hole must be punched near the bottom of the boot or it will blow off when compressed from the air pressure. I'm keeping a close eye on all of the boots, once the residual WD-40 goes away, hopefully they will have enough grip on the metal parts that they won't come off.

How do they work? I still didn't hear angels sing, but "better than stock". Since it's mostly just straight, flat stuff here, i'll probably leave them set full soft or close to it. The ride is a bit "loose", but they suck up pot holes pretty well.

I agree with Max, regardless of what shocks you put on there, the ride will only get so smooth. A softer spring rate and a bit more travel would be a good start. That's part of the theory on big luxury cars, ever notice how much they sag down in the back when you add a few hundred pounds of stuff to the trunk? That's not shocks, that's a soft spring rate, with enough preload to get the ride ht. correct.

So now that the shocks are installed, considering the vehicle, i'm satisfied with the ride, but Rancho could do a better job in several areas including the boot fiasco.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
9. Add a small tube of bushing lube.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Stay away from white shocks, they all suck and that includes Rancho's. You better off running the Bilstien 5100's. Measure the extended and colapsed lenght and you can figure from there what size shocks you will need.

Nick

Old 05-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I put RS5000 on my 97 4x4 and never had those boots problems you had. But I was also disappointed with quality. I had the same crappy welds with porosity (I work in a welding shop), the paint wasnt good at all, and those decals are junk.

I had a hell of a time gettin my old ones off the back, resorted to torching them off.
I wish ford would leave a little more room in the back where the shocks bolt into, the front I never had a bit of trouble.

I never noticed a sqeak in the bushings with my truck, although exhaust/stereo can make that disappear.

Quick Reply: Rancho 9000X: Disappointed!