Crooked steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005 | 01:09 PM
|
Crooked steering wheel

I just bought an 89 F150 4x4. The steering wheel is almost upside down when going straight. It makes it hard to see the gauges and speedometer. I tried removing the steering wheel and straightening it but found it only fits one way due to a flat spot on the shaft. How can I get the steering to be straight when I'm going straight?

Old 04-23-2005 | 06:01 PM
If the steering gear box has been replaced ,they may have turned the wheel a half turn getting the arm hooked back on.Get the front wheels straight pull the arm off then turn the wheel left or right too align it back up and then put it back togather.Have someone hold the wheel for you so it stays put while getting the arm back on.

Old 04-26-2005 | 08:43 PM
|
Are you talking about the pitman arm? I thought I could remove the bolt where the steering column connects to the shaft, turn it 1/2 turn and rebolt it.

Old 04-26-2005 | 11:29 PM
Well 2 things may have happen on the gear box replacement. (1)when they bolted the steering column to the gear box it was off a half a turn or (2) when the pitman arm was put on it was off a half turn. I think the steering column is what is off a half turn,but you need to check the gear box how far it turns each way to be sure the gear box is centered up,if it's centered unbolt the steering column and move it a half turn then rebolt it. Hope this helps you out on getting it fixed.

Old 04-30-2005 | 09:00 PM
|
I finally got a chance to work on the truck today. I checked the steering and the pitman arm seems to be centered. I removed the bolt and coupling where the steering column connects to the steering shaft and turned it 1/2 over. The steering wheel is fairly straight now. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Crooked steering wheel