Crooked Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crooked Rear End

Own a 2002 F150 SCREW 48K miles- When I park on a level surface and look at the truck from behind it looks it looks like the truck slants to the driver side rear end. Its not severe but I can see it by eye (have not measured from the rear bumper to the ground yet, however I think its got to be an inch to inch and a half drop from one side to the other).

The truck drives and handles fine; I don’t notice any pulling to the driver's side when I drive.

Just curious to know if anyone else has noticed this problem on their truck?

If it is something with the suspension, is it a “do it yourself” type of repair or take it somewhere to let the professionals deal with it? Or is my truck agreeing with my wife in saying I need to loose a little weight..

Old 04-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I had a 99 that was the same way. All your fuel is on the left side, check it next time it's near empty then fill it and check it again. Unless it's really noticable, I'd guess it's fuel weight.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
funny you should mention that. i have the 2003 screw 4x4 and mine is at the dealer today getting the oil changed, rust looked at under the doors (and hopefully the rearend rebuilt, if the parts are in) and i mentioned the exact same thing to the service guy about that lean. i measured mine and it was 1/2" off. it didn't make much of a difference whether the tank was empty or full. i believe we have leaf springs that are sagging on that side. it's just funny that we have it on the same side. when i checked mine i made sure all the tire pressure was the same, then i checked the rear end underneath and it was level. but when i checked the bumper,and the top of the tailgate it was leaning to that side. i even removed the spare and placed a level on the frame and it showed the same thing. it looks like it's been in an accident and it wasn't fixed right but it's new. i've been behind hundreds of other supercrews and they are not like this at all. i never noticed it before until i was following my wife last week when she was drinving it

i'll let you know what the dealer tells me.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your replies. At least Im not the only one seeing this issue coming up.

I thought it might be the fuel tank too. It seems to keep that lean no matter whether if the tank is full or empty.

Sgauthier - Yeah please do, I would like to hear what you find out from your dealer.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Mine has the same problem. I thought it was a saggy spring too, and thought I'd try the simple things first. So I switched them around. No difference. Still debating what to try next. I have heard Ford finds it exceptable for these trucks to sag up to 1/2 inch new.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2000 ExtCab does the same thing. Leans up to 1in to the drivers side. I went around with ford and the local dealer for the last 3 years now.
First time 'it's normal'.
Second time they said my spare tire (which was installed at the time) was smaller than the rest causing the lean. Didn't know that the mechs at Bonehead ford are illiterate and can't read the #s on the tire showing it to be the same size as the rest.
Third time 'we did some adjustments'. Like inflating the drivers side tires to 40+ psi.
Forth time and a lot of bitching got me a new set of springs all around. Didn't fix it and warranty ran out. Further service was refused because 'we don't know what's wrong' and 'the ext warranty doesn't cover lean'.

So what I found out that the mechanics at Bohn Ford on the Westbank of New Orleans are incompetent illiterates and that the springs aren't at fault.

I'll have to replace all the balljoints next week anyway and I'll see if that makes any difference.

Fritz

Old 05-02-2005, 08:40 AM
picked up my truck at the dealer Friday night. all they tried to do was play with the torsion bars at the front. they told me that it fixed it. ya right it's still the same. typical dealer BS. i had already tried that and it did nothing. i didn't tell him that because the truck is still under warranty. i have to bring it back for the rear end rebuild & i'll mention it again but i'm sure they'll do nothing. if they don't i will. i plan on placing a 1/2" plate under the leaf spring on that side to see if that fixes it. if i find out anything i'll post back here.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a 99' 4x4 and has the same problem. I guess it is nice to see that others have this problem. I thought it was just because my fat a@$ was too heavy and made the springs weaker on that side. Hopefully someone will get a fix and we can all be happy again.

Quick Reply: Crooked Rear End